starting strength gym

Thread: Rotator cuff issue and Tears

Default Rotator cuff issue and Tears

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello all

I have been lifting (starting strength LNP. Texas, Various other programmes) for a few years now and would be a solidly intermediate lifter. However, something in my shoulder has been getting progressively worse, not so much from lifting i suspect, but from Jiu Jitsu and work more so, although i do find Benching is hurts.

Anyway, I went and got an MRI, and this was the finding

Findings.
    There is substantial, diffuse rotator cuff tendonitis.
    There is a small intrasubstance partial tear of the distal infraspinatus tendon. Further, there is a
    small insertional partial tear of the leading edge of the distal supraspinatus tendon where there is
    some associated bony oedema and cortical irregularity.
    The proximal biceps tendons are intact.
    Glenohumeral joint alignment is satisfactory with no osteochondral defect or loose body. There
    is a small effusion and minor distension of subcoracoid bursa.
    No acute bony injury or aggressive bony lesion is seen. There is mild degenerative change in
    the AC joint.
    There is lowgrade inflammatory change across the subacromial bursa, without significant bursal
    distension.
    I am sure someone here has had similar, my question is, how serious is this, and is there a way to fix this without surgery?
    I am going to see the consultant soon, I am not sure if he is hatchet man or not and if he will recommend surgery - so i would consider the learned men and women here as a sort of second opinion

Thanks in advance.

Surgery is not indicated by this diagnosis. What are your bench and press numbers?

285 lbs BP 1rm
    185 lbs ohp 1rm

39 years old
    5 foot 10
    205 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by flammenwerfen View Post
    Hello all

I have been lifting (starting strength LNP. Texas, Various other programmes) for a few years now and would be a solidly intermediate lifter. However, something in my shoulder has been getting progressively worse, not so much from lifting i suspect, but from Jiu Jitsu and work more so, although i do find Benching is hurts.

Anyway, I went and got an MRI, and this was the finding

I am sure someone here has had similar, my question is, how serious is this, and is there a way to fix this without surgery?
    I am going to see the consultant soon, I am not sure if he is hatchet man or not and if he will recommend surgery - so i would consider the learned men and women here as a sort of second opinion

Thanks in advance.
    This is most certainly a rehabilitation case, as the MRI, itself, does not appear to demonstrate any findings necessitating surgical intervention. I hate to say it, but, finding an experienced coach would be a better usage of monetary resources than further medical intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    This is most certainly a rehabilitation case, as the MRI, itself, does not appear to demonstrate any findings necessitating surgical intervention. I hate to say it, but, finding an experienced coach would be a better usage of monetary resources than further medical intervention.
    Any suggestions as to what exercises would be suitable at this point? I have an appointment with a orthopaedic surgeon, but it's a few months away yet.

Look up my shoulder rehab video on this website. It it hurts bad enough, you can use that method. If not, just press.

starting strength coach development program
    Have done so already and it did seem useful. Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Look up my shoulder rehab video on this website. It it hurts bad enough, you can use that method. If not, just press.
    Is there any particular protocol for pressing for rehab? I would assume 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps at about 50% of 1rm, paying strict attention to form would be a good start?