starting strength gym

Thread: Chronic Achilles Tendinopathy

Default Chronic Achilles Tendinopathy

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi there,

I have had Achilles Tendinopathy for the past almost 5 years, mainly in the right. The last 2 years have been chronic in the sense that it is painful every day and just walking can be a challenge.
    I have done 8 months of rehab which consisted of:

-10 weeks of eccentric only work. 3 x 10-15 reps twice daily. Added weight as I could tolerate.
    -10 weeks of combined loading (eccentric and concentric). Similar sets and reps done once daily.
    - approx 8/10 weeks of heavy slow resistance done 2-3 times per week. Heavy work in the 5-8 rep range with 4-6 sec reps.

All this and their has been no change in symptoms. I'm wondering if there is any other angle I could approach this with? It is very debilitating for everyday life, but more importantly, training. I've seen Mark's YouTube clips and articles in regards to injuries, and talking about 'making' it heal.
    How can I make this heal??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Aaron View Post
    Hi there,

I have had Achilles Tendinopathy for the past almost 5 years, mainly in the right. The last 2 years have been chronic in the sense that it is painful every day and just walking can be a challenge.
    I have done 8 months of rehab which consisted of:

-10 weeks of eccentric only work. 3 x 10-15 reps twice daily. Added weight as I could tolerate.
    -10 weeks of combined loading (eccentric and concentric). Similar sets and reps done once daily.
    - approx 8/10 weeks of heavy slow resistance done 2-3 times per week. Heavy work in the 5-8 rep range with 4-6 sec reps.

All this and their has been no change in symptoms. I'm wondering if there is any other angle I could approach this with? It is very debilitating for everyday life, but more importantly, training. I've seen Mark's YouTube clips and articles in regards to injuries, and talking about 'making' it heal.
    How can I make this heal??

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Aaron
    Some additional information would be helpful. Who made the diagnosis of achilles tendinopathy? Have you had any imaging of the achilles tendon? Do you have any similar complaints elsewhere in the body (chronic tendon related pain)?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Morris View Post
    Some additional information would be helpful. Who made the diagnosis of achilles tendinopathy? Have you had any imaging of the achilles tendon? Do you have any similar complaints elsewhere in the body (chronic tendon related pain)?
    Hi will,
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes, I have had multiple ultrasounds, all showing classic mid portion Tendinopathy. It was originally brought on by weekly running for my current job, I hadn't run in 10 years and was 20kg heavier, I'm 36yo. They are extremely sensitive to touch and have been for a long time. I have seen a sports doctor for the last 3 months due to the fact that rehab hadn't worked and needed intervention after having it for so long. I have had two doses of high volume injections to break up any adhesions between the tendon and fat pad, unfortunately with no real luck. So back to the drawing board. Next step might be PRP (blood injection into the tendon).
    No other chronic tendon pain. Just Achilles tendons.

Any help that could MAKE these tendons heal would be great as I am at a loss 😥

Hope that is enough info?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tall Aaron View Post
    Hi will,
    Thanks for your response.
    Yes, I have had multiple ultrasounds, all showing classic mid portion Tendinopathy. It was originally brought on by weekly running for my current job, I hadn't run in 10 years and was 20kg heavier, I'm 36yo. They are extremely sensitive to touch and have been for a long time. I have seen a sports doctor for the last 3 months due to the fact that rehab hadn't worked and needed intervention after having it for so long. I have had two doses of high volume injections to break up any adhesions between the tendon and fat pad, unfortunately with no real luck. So back to the drawing board. Next step might be PRP (blood injection into the tendon).
    No other chronic tendon pain. Just Achilles tendons.

Any help that could MAKE these tendons heal would be great as I am at a loss ��

Hope that is enough info?

Thanks
    In my last review of the literature, I believe it appeared dextrose solutions had better outcomes than PRP.