starting strength gym

Thread: Possible minor quat tear and how to fix it

Default Possible minor quat tear and how to fix it

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe, I'm a 34, year old, male trainee; I weigh 173 and I am 164 cm tall; my best lifts are:
    - squat 5x1 355
    - deadlift 1x3 360
    - bench 3x2 222
    - press 5x1 150

my current program is:
    Monday:
    - squat 5RM
    - press 5x5 80%
    - weighted chins 3x5

Wednesday:
    - press 5x1
    - squat 4x5
    - triceps extensions 3x5-8

Friday:
    - deadlift 5RM
    - close grip bench 5RM
    - close grip bench 3x5 80%
    - chins 3x10

I have decided to go on a cut down to 160 and then go to about 175-185 and then cut back to 175-165 and stay in that range; I'm cutting because I didn't do the program correctly, my PR's were slow and I ate like shit and gained a lot more fat that I should have, and ended up with a 39 inch waist circumference and a 41 inch bust circumference, not a good ratio at all ;
    I have learned my lesson, I want to train right and also eat right the next time I "bulk"
    Recently I've decided to add in some conditioning during my off days on Tuesday and Thursday, because form a cardio standpoint I am really out of shape, as I've only done strength training for the last 2 years and no conditioning at all;
    Anyway I don't have a prowler nor a rower, so I decided to do sprints outside in my garden; I have about 40 m of fairly even ground so I did 10 sprints with pauses as I walked back to the starting line
    I did one training on Thursday, 19.08, did 10 sprints, and it went good; now on Tuesday, 24.08 I got up and started my sprints outside, I did about 3-4 light running on the 40 m, and then started the sprints, at the end of the 4-th sprint I felt some pain in my left quad, because I was going fast as I could and I had to stop relatively sudden or else I would hit a wall in front of me; I think the sudden deceleration caused the injury; I went back to the starting line, and started my 5-th sprint for the day but the pain got worse so I stopped my training there and called it a day
    I don't think it is a big tear or something, because there is no bruising and the pain is not acute, it more of a nagging pain
    Also, I feel tenderness in the upper part of my quad when I push on the muscle with my hands
    the next day it felt fine, I did my presses for singles, then did my warm-up for squats, it felt fine till about 75%(150 lbs) of my working set weight for that day, at that point the pain came back, so I stopped and did just one set at 150 lbs
    the next day, it felt fine again so I wanted to do some elliptical for my conditioning, I did 2 minutes light and 30 seconds hard for about 12-15 minutes; and the pain came back after the workout;
    It is a blur pain, but I don't want to do something stupid and re-injure the damn thing instead of rehabbing it

I have searched rehabbing torn muscle bellies and came up with an article on artofmanliness were you explain the Star rehab protocol, the only thing I don't get from the article is "During this time do NO OTHER HEAVY WORK, so that your resources can focus on the injury. You should be fixed in about 2 weeks, squatting more than you hurt yourself with." does this mean that I don't do any heavy work for my quads, or does this mean I don't do any heavy work at all, like presses and bench and assistance for upper body, too?

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius View Post
    Hello Mr. Rippetoe, I'm a 34, year old, male trainee; I weigh 173 and I am 164 cm tall; my best lifts are:
    - squat 5x1 355
    - deadlift 1x3 360
    - bench 3x2 222
    - press 5x1 150

my current program is:
    Monday:
    - squat 5RM
    - press 5x5 80%
    - weighted chins 3x5

Wednesday:
    - press 5x1
    - squat 4x5
    - triceps extensions 3x5-8

Friday:
    - deadlift 5RM
    - close grip bench 5RM
    - close grip bench 3x5 80%
    - chins 3x10

I have decided to go on a cut down to 160 and then go to about 175-185 and then cut back to 175-165 and stay in that range; I'm cutting because I didn't do the program correctly, my PR's were slow and I ate like shit and gained a lot more fat that I should have, and ended up with a 39 inch waist circumference and a 41 inch bust circumference, not a good ratio at all ;
    I have learned my lesson, I want to train right and also eat right the next time I "bulk"
    Recently I've decided to add in some conditioning during my off days on Tuesday and Thursday, because form a cardio standpoint I am really out of shape, as I've only done strength training for the last 2 years and no conditioning at all;
    Anyway I don't have a prowler nor a rower, so I decided to do sprints outside in my garden; I have about 40 m of fairly even ground so I did 10 sprints with pauses as I walked back to the starting line
    I did one training on Thursday, 19.08, did 10 sprints, and it went good; now on Tuesday, 24.08 I got up and started my sprints outside, I did about 3-4 light running on the 40 m, and then started the sprints, at the end of the 4-th sprint I felt some pain in my left quad, because I was going fast as I could and I had to stop relatively sudden or else I would hit a wall in front of me; I think the sudden deceleration caused the injury; I went back to the starting line, and started my 5-th sprint for the day but the pain got worse so I stopped my training there and called it a day
    I don't think it is a big tear or something, because there is no bruising and the pain is not acute, it more of a nagging pain
    Also, I feel tenderness in the upper part of my quad when I push on the muscle with my hands
    the next day it felt fine, I did my presses for singles, then did my warm-up for squats, it felt fine till about 75%(150 lbs) of my working set weight for that day, at that point the pain came back, so I stopped and did just one set at 150 lbs
    the next day, it felt fine again so I wanted to do some elliptical for my conditioning, I did 2 minutes light and 30 seconds hard for about 12-15 minutes; and the pain came back after the workout;
    It is a blur pain, but I don't want to do something stupid and re-injure the damn thing instead of rehabbing it

I have searched rehabbing torn muscle bellies and came up with an article on artofmanliness were you explain the Star rehab protocol, the only thing I don't get from the article is "During this time do NO OTHER HEAVY WORK, so that your resources can focus on the injury. You should be fixed in about 2 weeks, squatting more than you hurt yourself with." does this mean that I don't do any heavy work for my quads, or does this mean I don't do any heavy work at all, like presses and bench and assistance for upper body, too?
    Sorry man, I don't have much to add here. I do not typically recommend the Starr Rehab Method for muscle belly injuries. The Starr Method is certainly better than nothing, and it is miles ahead of what most people will get in a physical therapy clinic. I would assume the meaning is no other heavy work involving the injured muscle, although don't discount how much the quads are utilized in a heavy bench press.