starting strength gym

Thread: Rehab after meniscus 'repair' and TFCC lesion

Default Rehab after meniscus 'repair' and TFCC lesion

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I had a bucket handle tear in my medial meniscus, which got 'repaired' last week because it was becoming unstable (one wrong move and hurt for a week). Sadly, due to the amount of damage (with free floating material), the surgeon had to remove nearly 2/3 of it. Everything else seems to be fine though (articular cartilage, ACL, PCL & lateral meniscus in perfect condition)
    I also have a TFCC lesion (central tear/perforation) in my left wrist due to a mishap with a 25kg plate.. tried to slide/swing it on to a vertical plate tree (not angled) with one hand..

According to the doctor, I am allowed to carefully start squatting again as soon as stitches are removed and the pain allows it.
    Due to the TFCC lesion he suggested I avoid benching and pressing for one month at least. It should heal on its own without surgical intervention.
    At least my deadlift is not affected..

Before the surgery, I was squatting 140kg for fives. (I am in my early 30s)

Any recommendations on getting back?

I thought about resetting to the bar alone and increasing by 5kg every workout until about 60kg and then 2.5kg every workout or am I being too conservative?

Quote Originally Posted by Clemens View Post
    Hi,

I had a bucket handle tear in my medial meniscus, which got 'repaired' last week because it was becoming unstable (one wrong move and hurt for a week). Sadly, due to the amount of damage (with free floating material), the surgeon had to remove nearly 2/3 of it. Everything else seems to be fine though (articular cartilage, ACL, PCL & lateral meniscus in perfect condition)
    I also have a TFCC lesion (central tear/perforation) in my left wrist due to a mishap with a 25kg plate.. tried to slide/swing it on to a vertical plate tree (not angled) with one hand..

According to the doctor, I am allowed to carefully start squatting again as soon as stitches are removed and the pain allows it.
    Due to the TFCC lesion he suggested I avoid benching and pressing for one month at least. It should heal on its own without surgical intervention.
    At least my deadlift is not affected..

Before the surgery, I was squatting 140kg for fives. (I am in my early 30s)

Any recommendations on getting back?

I thought about resetting to the bar alone and increasing by 5kg every workout until about 60kg and then 2.5kg every workout or am I being too conservative?
    Recommendation for your situation would be that it would be best for you to hire the services of a coach that has a background in rehabilitation / physical therapy / orthopaedics, so that you have someone that can be waist deep in your situation to best advise you in returning to lifting.

I, too, had the vast majority of my medial meniscus in my left knee removed. This happened in 20015, so 16 years ago. I am now 40 years old, and I can hit > 500# on a squat single any day of the week and squatting 200kg for fives. I have virtually no knee pain unless I have to run, which my job requires me to do several times per year. A good stiff pair of wrist wraps might be sufficient to keep you lifting without making the TFCC tear hurt, though I don't think there is much chance it "heals". I think a reduction in pain with associated movement is what they meant by "heal".