starting strength gym

Thread: Training with mild Pneumonia

Default Training with mild Pneumonia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It's been just under three weeks since I started having Covid symptoms (Took a PCR test that came back positive). Overall it was not too bad, had several days of fever with flu symptoms. Since then I've had lingering fatigue (pretty bad) and shortness of breath with a persistent cough. I have had pneumonia once before and although I have not gotten checked out this time around I am fairly certain I have a mild case. It feels identical to last time.

Anyway, I made up my mind at the outset and kept training straight through it. I've done ok, about a year in to intermediate training and over the last few weeks I have continued to push PRs on the squat and bench and pushing pretty close to my all time PRs for press and deadlift (will be hitting those within the next 3 to 4 weeks if all goes as planned). My power clean tanked. I PRed that the week I came down with this when I still had a fever and was feeling like utter shit. Still managed 237.5 for 5x3. Interestingly the following weeks the explosiveness just left me. I have not been able to power clean more than 205 now.

My question though is am I risking prolonging recovery of the pneumonia (or am I helping it)? It's been hard. I can move the weight but I am so out of breath after every lift and it takes a long time to recover. Been sleeping upwards of 12 hours a night and a 2-3 hour nap in the late afternoon.

To be honest I feel pretty good other than just being super duper tired and my strength seems unaffected. Just my power production has gone into the pooper. Do you think I am ok doing what I am doing or do I need to back off? I'm pretty sure I am doing the right thing but was just curious what other, wiser, SS folks thought about this. My coach has told me a few times that if I feel like I can drop the weight that that would be ok, but I just feel like, if I can lift it, I need to lift it. I need to at least try, and if it goes up, then I need to keep going.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Z View Post
    It's been just under three weeks since I started having Covid symptoms (Took a PCR test that came back positive). Overall it was not too bad, had several days of fever with flu symptoms. Since then I've had lingering fatigue (pretty bad) and shortness of breath with a persistent cough. I have had pneumonia once before and although I have not gotten checked out this time around I am fairly certain I have a mild case. It feels identical to last time.

Anyway, I made up my mind at the outset and kept training straight through it. I've done ok, about a year in to intermediate training and over the last few weeks I have continued to push PRs on the squat and bench and pushing pretty close to my all time PRs for press and deadlift (will be hitting those within the next 3 to 4 weeks if all goes as planned). My power clean tanked. I PRed that the week I came down with this when I still had a fever and was feeling like utter shit. Still managed 237.5 for 5x3. Interestingly the following weeks the explosiveness just left me. I have not been able to power clean more than 205 now.

My question though is am I risking prolonging recovery of the pneumonia (or am I helping it)? It's been hard. I can move the weight but I am so out of breath after every lift and it takes a long time to recover. Been sleeping upwards of 12 hours a night and a 2-3 hour nap in the late afternoon.

To be honest I feel pretty good other than just being super duper tired and my strength seems unaffected. Just my power production has gone into the pooper. Do you think I am ok doing what I am doing or do I need to back off? I'm pretty sure I am doing the right thing but was just curious what other, wiser, SS folks thought about this. My coach has told me a few times that if I feel like I can drop the weight that that would be ok, but I just feel like, if I can lift it, I need to lift it. I need to at least try, and if it goes up, then I need to keep going.

Thanks for your thoughts and feedback folks!
    The standard recommendations for training with a respiratory infection would still apply: low total volume. Intensity can still be high, but you need long rest intervals between stets. Get adequate rest between sessions. Do not perform any cardio. Keep your sets short (no more than 3-4 reps per set).

Thanks Will for the feedback! I've avoided the sled since I got sick but we have not reduced regular training volume yet. My coach has said to scale back if need be but the weight keeps going up so I keep doing it. My strength doesn't seem impacted at all other than being super out of breath and it taking forever for me to feel like I am ready to do another set. I am hoping that continuing to push will not make the pneumonia last longer but my intuition, misplaced though it may be, tells me that breathing hard and getting the blood flowing is probably good for it.

It's the power cleans that are frustrating me. I was so excited to hit 240 several weeks ago. 237.5 was solid when I did it. Now I can't even catch one rep at 210 yet 205 for 5x3 feels too easy. It's like I am stuck in slow motion or something. Is there anything I can do to get my speed/power back? Just wait until I get better I guess and lift what I can until it goes away?