starting strength gym

Thread: Chinup protocol alternative

Default Chinup protocol alternative

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi, I'm trying to manage a mild case of golfers elbow using the chinup protocol. I can do only 3 chins however, which means that by set 10 I can't do 1 proper chinup due to the fatigue (doing singles up till that point). How would you change the protocol so that it works? Cheating the reps? Negatives? Something else?

No response, sadly, but I'll leave the following for any future visitors of this thread: I went along with the protocol anyway, trying to complete the one chinup, and moving to 2-3 as slow and as controlled negatives as possible. Still did 20 sets. By workout 5, my other, healthy elbow would be aggravated more than the original injured one on sets ~4 and onwards, thus leading me quit the protocol. I can still, yet seldom feel some pain in the elbow in question, usually once or twice per workout when setting up during the squat (despite a fixed grip and arm position). Hopefully it will only get better with time.

Some options are to modify the chin-ups so they are the correct difficulty: use elastic bands or stand on stacked plates and use your feet to assist with the concentric portion of the lift. It's also a good idea to try and isolate the cause and address that if possible.

Do you have access to assistance bands, like the Rage Pull-up Assist set?

I considered using elastic bands, however I didn't have any at my disposal. Used this impromptu modified protocol with negatives and it worked just fine, although I feel like the process might have been easier with the bands.

OP, I used Burnett's recommended tempo (3-1-2) Bench Press with ~85% of my working weight to mitigate tendonitis pain (combo golfer/tennis elbow), in addition to really dialing in my squat grip. This reduced all pain for me within about 2 weeks, and I never resorted to the recommended chin-up routine (I don't have a chin-up bar). I'd recommend reading Jordan's article on the subject and giving it a try - worked wonders for me.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Evan Charles View Post
    OP, I used Burnett's recommended tempo (3-1-2) Bench Press with ~85% of my working weight to mitigate tendonitis pain (combo golfer/tennis elbow), in addition to really dialing in my squat grip. This reduced all pain for me within about 2 weeks, and I never resorted to the recommended chin-up routine (I don't have a chin-up bar). I'd recommend reading Jordan's article on the subject and giving it a try - worked wonders for me.
    Do you mind explaining the bench method a bit more? Is it 3-1-2 a shorthand for how many seconds the descent, the pause at the bottom and the ascent takes? How many sets and reps, how many days a week?