starting strength gym

Thread: Small "blood spots" below eyes after heavy squats

Default Small "blood spots" below eyes after heavy squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi everyone,

Not sure that this counts as an injury, but I don't know where else to post. Over the past few weeks, I've noticed tiny "blood spots" develop below my eyes, after a heavy squat day. Note that these are tiny spots - they look like small red/brown "freckles" just beneath the surface of the skin (most people probably wouldn't even notice them). Also, I feel absolutely no pain or discomfort whatsoever, and they gradually vanish over the next 2 - 3 days.

What does this mean? Am I rupturing small blood vessels somewhere in my face, from the strain of squatting? Will my blood vessels gradually adapt to this and get thicker/stronger so they no longer rupture? Anyone else have experience with this?

All advice is appreciated. Thanks!

-skypig

Do a search on the term "petechiae."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt James View Post
    Do a search on the term "petechiae."
    Yep. This. Also make sure you're holding your Valsalva against a closed glottis.

Thanks Matt and Frank - "petechiae" is exactly what I have. I'm definitely doing the Valsalva maneuver with all my lifts, but I'll pay extra attention during my squats next time, to make sure I'm not slacking on that.

I've been getting it on my chest and face for years. It happens to some people.

Like Frank said, make sure you're hold the Valsalva correctly.

My wife is worried some day I'm going to deadlift too heavy, and I'm just going to explode in a plume of blood.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Thanks Andrew - glad to know I'm not the only one. As for exploding in a plume of blood: God forbid that it happen, but if it does, man, what a way to go!

I'll definitely be paying attention to my Valsalva...for some reason, I have stuck in my head that when taking the big breath, you're supposed to "breathe into your stomach" instead of "breathing into your chest." Is this somewhere in the blue book, or am I mis-remembering something? In any case, I always try to breathe into my stomach/abs when taking that breath...

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    Thanks Andrew - glad to know I'm not the only one. As for exploding in a plume of blood: God forbid that it happen, but if it does, man, what a way to go!
    It is my preferred way of dying given that most of us don't get to choose how we die.

Quote Originally Posted by skypig View Post
    I'll definitely be paying attention to my Valsalva...for some reason, I have stuck in my head that when taking the big breath, you're supposed to "breathe into your stomach" instead of "breathing into your chest." Is this somewhere in the blue book, or am I mis-remembering something? In any case, I always try to breathe into my stomach/abs when taking that breath...
    Take the Valsalva with your mouth open. You can't hold it in your face if your mouth is open.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Andrew, will do!