starting strength gym

Thread: Broken ulnar and radius

Default Broken ulnar and radius

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Fresh off 14 screws and 2 plates to fix a broken ulnar and radius in my non-dominant forearm. Does anybody have experience with this or a time-line with which I can begin training again? On his podcast rip frequently mentions the mechanism by which bone heals. How do we balance movement with not messing it up any worse than it is?

Quote Originally Posted by SSZach View Post
    Fresh off 14 screws and 2 plates to fix a broken ulnar and radius in my non-dominant forearm. Does anybody have experience with this or a time-line with which I can begin training again? On his podcast rip frequently mentions the mechanism by which bone heals. How do we balance movement with not messing it up any worse than it is?
    Now that I know a little bit more about the situation I'll follow up in case anyone ever runs into this in the future.

I had a transverse fracture of both left radius and ulnar (with a marble size chunk broken off and removed in surgery). They really didn't give me any guidelines during my hospital stay and I was a little too woozy on the pain meds to ask a lot of questions.

It's been 2 weeks and I had my follow-up yesterday. I had my soft cast removed and my bones still aren't fused. The screws and plates are all that is holding the bones together. The doctor said I can't lift anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 6 weeks. She basically said all I can do is walk and leg press.

Instead of a leg press, I plan on doing squats with a loading pin and belt, do back extensions, and drag a weighted sled for conditioning.

Would anyone recommend for/against 1 arm dumbbell press? I can't remember if that is mentioned in the gray book.

I recommend that both you and your doctor read this: https://www.amazon.com/Skeletal-Func...dp/0521714753/

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I recommend that both you and your doctor read this: Amazon.com
    Thanks. I just ordered and it should be here Saturday. Although we know my doctor won't read it.