starting strength gym

Thread: Squat, OHP, Deadlift - 50 year old with hip issues

Default Squat, OHP, Deadlift - 50 year old with hip issues

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Form Check - YouTube

Can I please get some tips/feedback? Thank you.

For context, I was in a mountain biking accident in 2018 and had 3 surgeries to rebuild my hips (xray is first clip in video). Wheelchair, crutches, walking stick for over a year, still have a limp I'm trying to ditch. I started doing physio & DDPYoga, pretty much daily since 6 months post accident (did some hydrotherapy from month 4). I couldn't squat (at all, not even bodyweight) in Dec 2020. I started Starting Strength in Feb 21, hoping the weight of the bar would help me get depth. It did, but I started to get knee pain. I can't get my feet 30 degrees or squat with feet wide apart, so have to narrow stance squat. I started knees over toes 14 weeks ago which is helping get my lower body move better. Balancing the 'physio' side of things, I reduced my lifts. I lift Tues/Thurs/Sat. In the week I only do OHP/Bench, on Saturdays I add squat and deadlift. I post all this because I know my form looks poor and the weights are light, but Rip does say that even if you anatomically can't lift properly, you should still lift. And I am making progress, albeit slowly. Lastly, I weighed 165lbs in Jan, I'm 195lbs now.

Thank you to anyone who reads this and in advance of getting any replies.

Rich.

Hi Rich, first off good on you for not giving up, man. I lost my leg just below the knee back at the tail end of 2019, so I can relate to your situation a little bit. Very different situation but I can relate some. Do you have any videos of your bodyweight squat? Are you able to get more depth with a bodyweight squat? While form will never really be "perfect", we want to try and get to a below parallel squat. I don't know what your hips are capable of, so perhaps you can't get lower.

Similar suggestion for your press. How does it look with just the bar? I did seated presses for quite awhile while recovering from my accident, so that is always an option if our lower half makes pressing correctly difficult.

I am not someone who has experience with injuries like you've had, so take these thoughts with a grain of salt. My overall thoughts on your situation is that it is better to perform the movements properly with less weight.

Moved over to the Managing Injuries forum. That looks like a ton of hardware in your hip. The guys over here may have some suggestions.

Is that the lowest your knee pain will allow you to go?
    I would not wear dark clothes in a dark gym space, and try to get your whole body in the frame so we can see what's going.

You're a tough guy, Rich. I don't have any advice, just wanted to express my admiration. Good luck with your progress!

Thank you for the comments. I’ll try and re-shoot some video with either body weight or just the bar (and better clothes). The surgeons cut through my glutes pretty deep, and being in a bed/wheelchair meant I lost a lot of muscle from my legs. I have trouble getting below parallel and when I do cant get up again unassisted. I have a slant board and am working on sets of 10-20 body weight squats on that, and seeing some progress. I’ll keep trying and post an update soon. Cheers.

High-rep squats are not going to be productive for more than a couple of weeks. Get back under the bar with 5s ASAFP.

Will do. I have bloody Covid, but I’ll be back to it soon.

Squat 17 Dec 21 - Form check - YouTube

I'm still working on bodyweight squats to increase depth. This morning I thought I'd give the bar a shot again; I wasn't going to film it but figured what the hell. That table is 37cm/14.5 inches tall. I'm going to cut the legs down an inch; I find it useful to have something to aim for to gauge depth.

Squat 17 Dec 21 - Form check - YouTube

I'm back under the bar, using a table to gauge depth. I've since cut the table legs down another 20mm to get more depth.

Thoughts?

starting strength coach development program
    Form check May 2022. - YouTube

I’m still working on it. Squatting to full depth, on a slant board, holding for 10 seconds, then getting up. Once warm, doing my squats. Video is last set of 3 at 82kgs. Any comments on form gratefully received. Even if just to say it’s all shit and I should spend more time reading the book.