starting strength gym

Thread: how long after groin strain is it safe to squat heavy again?

Default how long after groin strain is it safe to squat heavy again?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I pulled my groin about a week ago while squatting. Four years ago, I tore the same groin (really bad ... lots of bruising post injury). The pulled groin I suffered recently is much less serious (no bruising, much less pain).

I did the Starr rehab protocol four years ago and was back to squatting my pre-injury weights (albeit, with pain) after about 2.5 weeks. My question is: can I return to return to squatting more quickly this time, given that I have only pulled my groin? e.g., would it be safe to squat heavy again after, say 1 or 1.5 weeks, even if I still have soreness (which I suspect will last for a month)?

Narrow your stance and see how it feels. It might not hurt at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Narrow your stance and see how it feels. It might not hurt at all.
    The way I pulled my groin was by widening my stance a bit. So, taking a narrow stance was definitely the plan. I was just wondering, if it hurts when I squat, am I likely to re-injure if I just power through? I guess maybe a better question is, how much or what kind of pain would be a signal to scale back the weight?

If the pain changes during a rep, you've tweaked it. Use the narrower stance and gradually widen back to normal over several workouts.