starting strength gym

Thread: [!] Help - doc said to stop lifting because of costochondritis!?

Default [!] Help - doc said to stop lifting because of costochondritis!?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi all,

For a couple weeks, my sister's been struggling with chest pain and feeling like she can't take deep breaths. It's been slowly getting worse, and today she went to her doctor, who told her that she's got costochondritis (inflammation of the chest cavity). The doc told her that she should stop lifting weights entirely, except for squats, which are apparently okay. The doc said that DLs, OHP, and BP all adversely affect the chest cavity, and will aggravate the inflammation. The doc also said my sis should take anti-inflammatories like ibuprofen, to help the inflammation go down.

Of course, when I heard this from my sister, my gut instinct was to laugh loudly at the doc's advice. But then I did some quick online research and figured out that some lifters do struggle with costochondritis. They typically manage it by using some combo of stretching, NSAIDs/anti-inflammatories, and managing the strength program (including, in some cases, completely stopping for a few weeks). So maybe this doc is onto something (but maybe not).

I've been coaching my sister (and mom) in lifting for the past couple years, and I'm not sure what to recommend. She only trains twice a week (squat/OHP on one day, and DL/BP on the other), so I don't think she's pushing herself too hard, or doing anything crazy. My sister has been setting new 3RMs with her DL, so in theory she could be approaching some sort of limit for her body...but I'm not sure. My gut is telling me to recommend that my sister continue her training, while taking NSAIDs and doing stretches to loosen up her chest muscles, and at most dropping her DL by 10%, to provide some recovery potential. Stopping the lifting "cold turkey" at this point seems like a silly overreaction, at least to me.

That being said, I really feel like I'd benefit from the advice of others on this forum, starting with Rip - I'm sure you've all had more experience with this type of stuff than me or my sister, so I await your help.

Thanks!

-skypig

What did the doctor say was the cause of the inflammation, not the training?

The doctor said the cause of the inflammation could be heavy weightlifting, and also stress/anxiety (which my sister is also dealing with). So the doc said to stop lifting weights for a few weeks, and find a way to reduce stress. But if my sister stops lifting weights, my guess is it will be harder for her to manage stress, so I'm not a fan of having my sister just completely stop the weight training...maybe reduce the intensity a bit, while taking NSAIDs? That's why I'm asking for advice.

Layoffs do not heal inflammatory injuries. Doctors are incapable of understanding this. She's probably got a technique issue which must be corrected, and then she trains through it.

Thanks Rip - will do. Regarding technique, the thing that immediately comes to mind is her heavier/final DL reps, which in some cases she pulls off the ground with some back rounding. Obviously some rounding is inevitable at higher weights + after fatigue sets in, but in this case, better safe than sorry. I think a 10 - 15% reset is in order, and I will make sure her back is set dead straight for all reps, even the final ones of the work set.

Thanks again!