starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ankle Agony and Squat

Default Ankle Agony and Squat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey guys

I've had this issue for a while now, running up on 4 months. Originally I thought it was just an injury I got at work, then tendentious and now finally I'm getting and MRI done but it could take another 4 weeks (minimum) to get it seen to.
    Basically I get a constant nagging ache in my ankle when I'm on it for long periods of time. Unfortunately my jobs is on a production line so that makes about 8 hours a day, 5 days a week I'm standing on it and I can't really take the weight off as I need to pivot and move.
    The pain has moments where it becomes pure agony and then passes by after a while but this week it got really bad and became really swollen, to the point where I couldn't get my foot into a shoe to drive to work. I'm including an image from the night before. I'm also not sure if the pain is coming from my knee and manifesting in my ankle. I got a deep tissue massage a few weeks back and she found a knot in my calf that was so bad I compared it to kidney stones.
    IMG-20211130-WA0002.jpg IMG-20211130-WA0005.jpg (yes the carpet in my house is ugly but I waiting to get it replaced in the new year)

Doctor has told me to try and stay off it, dial back my squats and wait til I get the MRI but I don't like the idea of skipping legs for 4 weeks as my squat has come a long fucking way. I'm currently squatting 405lbs for sets of 5 and the pain doesn't really effect me during, but after I notice its more severe pain after a squat session.

Should I dial back my squat weight to something lighter (God forbid) and see if I get serious pain after?

What are your work boots? Shitty or quality?

I used to be in workboots back when I originally hurt it. They were high quality, but I've had fallen arches my entire life so even the best boots don't sit right with me. Currently I'm not in work boots I'm in my day to day flats, production line work doesn't require me to wear steel toes.

You have collapsed arches, are standing on your feet all day in shitty shoes, and are puzzled as to why your feet hurt. Do I have this right?

I've never had this pain before. Steel toes I had were good, never had issues with them before. The flats I wear now I've worn for years and I didnt have this constant pain up til a few months ago. Maybe the start of September.
    I wear insoles in my shoes to avoid the arch pain and I've been on my feet most days for the past 3 years up to 10 hours a day with no pain.

What changed 4 months ago?

I was moved to a different section of my job. I used to be in the farming end but I got moved to the production end of it. I don't remember hurting myself, I half remember a slip but it was barely anything (wet floors) a bit more back and forth on the production line mixing feeds, that's about it.
    I got confirmation for my MRI but I'm on the waiting list now.

Describe your job.

When this started I was working on a farm. I was on a production line, my job was to mix feed and add stuff to it as it came through a doser. Very little movement other then back and forth the line which was maybe, 20ft long and curved. I also shovelled out pallets of old feed. Nothing extreme. I was temporary laid off from that job 4 weeks ago so now I'm just standing on a production line in a soap company, most extreme thing there is using a pedal on a filling machine.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    I've never had this pain before. Steel toes I had were good, never had issues with them before. The flats I wear now I've worn for years and I didnt have this constant pain up til a few months ago. Maybe the start of September.
    I wear insoles in my shoes to avoid the arch pain and I've been on my feet most days for the past 3 years up to 10 hours a day with no pain.
    Any chance the arch support of your insole is too aggressive in those shoes, thus slightly tilting your feet outwards? I have been using orthotics for about 15 years and have experienced this problem in the past. Over time, I have figured that I need to use the least effective dose of arch support, otherwise I run into ankle issues. For me, the area below the external malleolus is the most vulnerable to improperly fitted orthotics or insoles.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast