Chronic ankle instability Chronic ankle instability

starting strength gym

Thread: Chronic ankle instability

Default Chronic ankle instability

• starting strength seminar february 2022
    • starting strength seminar april 2022
    • starting strength seminar june 2022
    Rip and Team:

I wondered if you had any insight and/or suggestions as to how best to manage ankle instability. I've sprained my right ankle 25+ times. Never the left. After the first few I had a surgery performed where the posterior talofibular ligament was re-attached and loose bodies removed within the joint. Promptly after completing the rehab and getting cleared for all activities, I sprained it again jogging out to the outfield in a beer league softball game. It is very unstable and is susceptible to spraining at just about any time -- although nowadays I recover very quickly. I'm now in my early 50s and I enjoy backpacking and hunting. Even with a brace and good boots I'm always at risk for more sprains, and have to be ridiculously cautious to avoid further sprains.

The physical therapists and MDs recommend a lot of single leg balance drills to improve proprioception -- I guess the theory is that if you sense you are off balance quickly, you won't have as bad a sprain. There some "strengthening" exercises with bands, but no real use of progressive overload methods.

I am able to squat, deadlift, etc. with no problems and my range of motion is good.

Thanks in advance for your time.

What are your lifts? Height? Bodyweight?

6'6". 255#. 54 y.o. I pull 325# x 5 and squat 275# for 3 reps.

I've pushed my weight over 270# in the past and only got fatter without any meaningful strength gains.

Has anyone imaged your ankle?

Yes. About 3 years ago I started down the path of another surgery. Xrays and MRI. Went so far as to schedule a surgery, but ultimately decided not to as the surgeon was less than enthusiastic that surgery would solve my woes. Something like, "Yeah, most of my patients see improved stability, but I can't promise you won't sprain it again and undo the work I do." He was on the fence about whether he'd have surgery done if he were the patient. It's not like I'm Steph Curry and make a living with my ankle. Ultimately, I had a hard time convincing myself that the three months on crutches, and three months of rehab would be worth it for a second time. I'd have to dig around at this point to locate that MRI report but happy to do so if you think it would be helpful.

This has to be the most frustrating forum on the boards. WHAT WAS THE DIAGNOSIS????

starting strength coach development program
    Ha! I was stalling because I don't recall the specifics nor have them handy. Will post again once I track down the report.