starting strength gym

Thread: New to the program. The Press gives me some trouble.

Default New to the program. The Press gives me some trouble.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi, I am new to Starting Strength. Just a brief intro:

I am based in Singapore and found Mark on the Tom Woods show. Thanks Mark!

I began the program sometime in December 21 and have been doing my best to maintain a 2 to 3 time per week gym session.

I just turned 39. I am 171cm (5'6") and 81kg (178lbs). I have no prior lifting experience.

As the book recommends I began with the squat, deadlift, bench press and press.

My current noob stats as follow:

Squat: 80kg (177lb) up from 45kg
    Deadlift: 105kg (231lb) up from 45kg
    Press: 35kg (77lb) up from 25kg
    Bench Press: 42.5kg (94lb) up from 30kg

I began practicing the power-clean today and don't have a stat for it now.

The reason for posting is that I get a pain and loss of strength in my right arm when I shrug during the Press. See image below for an approximate position of the pain in green.
    Screenshot 2022-02-08 173328.jpg

I believe this was caused by an injury when I was practicing the press with an empty bar about 3 weeks ago. Even at the onset it was a mild pain and tolerable. Now it is barely noticeable in day to day activity. But I do bring it out when I look down and to the left and when doing the shrug component of the press.

It bothers me that it's not completely gone after 3 weeks, and interfering with form.

Should I wait this out or seek medical intervention like physiotherapy?

Appreciate any advice on this. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe I am getting better as I managed to do a 3x3 Press including the shrug with some caution today.

In a couple of days will try the full 5 rep set once again. Sorry for the false alarm.

Also I guess my stats do appear to be on the low end. That is partly because I was unwell for about a week, and also stagnated for a couple of sessions while sorting out form.

The main difficulty is each session is quite rushed. I go to the public gyms and because of COVID they restrict us to an hour and 40 mins each time. That would be enough time if not for the fact that I need to share their only rack with others.

Anyway, will press on forward. Thanks.

This sounds like your best first option would be a form check video on the technique forum. Rule out that this isn't just a technical problem with how you execute the lift. Much cheaper and easier than turning to any form of medicine looking for a solution.