starting strength gym

Thread: Forearm Tendinitis / Pain

Default Forearm Tendinitis / Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi There,

During NLP I got increasingly bad forearm pain on the inner (thumb side) of both my forearms. I'm assuming it's tendinitis and it hurts to the touch along the bone. I got sick and then traveled for vacation, which resulted in a 4 week layoff. Felt way better after the rest, but I feel the pain starting to return as I get back to training. It progresses worse with each workout and eventually hurts really bad during everything, especially pressing. Again it's inner forearm pain on the thumb side, no elbow pain. At all.

Is this likely caused by improper squat grip, same with elbow pain? Or is it a different technique error? What are some modifications I can do to prevent this thing from progressing to debilitating pain again in my training?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    Hi There,

During NLP I got increasingly bad forearm pain on the inner (thumb side) of both my forearms. I'm assuming it's tendinitis and it hurts to the touch along the bone. I got sick and then traveled for vacation, which resulted in a 4 week layoff. Felt way better after the rest, but I feel the pain starting to return as I get back to training. It progresses worse with each workout and eventually hurts really bad during everything, especially pressing. Again it's inner forearm pain on the thumb side, no elbow pain. At all.

Is this likely caused by improper squat grip, same with elbow pain? Or is it a different technique error? What are some modifications I can do to prevent this thing from progressing to debilitating pain again in my training?

Thanks,
    If it's a little less than midway down, I believe that's distal bicep tendonitis. I experienced the same thing. I fixed it by being more careful when deadlifting. Are you leaving any slack at all in your biceps before you pull the bar off the floor? I started focusing on making sure my arms were locked and triceps flexed so that my biceps wouldn't take a beating.

I've had biceps tendinitis before from failing to get my shoulders back and down during the bench. What I have now is different. It halfway down the forearm, and hurts right up to the wrist. That inner section of forearm on the thumb side. Hurts worst when I squeeze my grip hard or flex/extend the wrists.

Not sure if this might be helpful for anyone who has this issue, but I've now had some success in returning from this injury. Here is what worked for me so far:

1. I made the form adjustment on the squat grip and thoracic spine extension, that Rip coached on here:
    Inner Forearm Pain - Squat

Cue's that I use are to keep the upper spine extended and feel the weight on my back, and to squeeze my lats to keep my elbows down and in. Probably not a great cue for all, but it helps me.

2. I took about 3 weeks off training due to being sick and then going on vacation, the rest helped. But issue was beginning to return after.

3. I did the ibuprofen protocol that you will see suggested on this board - 800mg 4x a day for 5 days. This worked great.

4. On my presses and on the bench - I focused on feeling the weight driving through the bone of my forearm and meat of my palm.

5. I did the "wrist flossing" with the band giving some resistance for the flexors to press against. I tried chins - but this holds flexors in a static position, and were just not helpful at all in getting the forearm area to respond. I've used chins to help with tennis elbow in the past, but it did not help with the forearm inflammation. This exercise helped work it through flexion/extension with some resistance, which I found helpful. Chins are good for the elbows and useless for the forearms in my experience:

Wrist Ability. This formula can be done in addition to… | by Kneesovertoesguy | Medium

6. I reduced squatting to once per week, in my return. We will see what happens when I ramp things back up.