starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bilateral tendinosis of the hamstring origins (seat pain at the bottom of the squat)

Default bilateral tendinosis of the hamstring origins (seat pain at the bottom of the squat)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    47 year old non-athlete. Realitvely new to barbells. I've been lifting seriously for about a year and half (gym in an old garden shed) and I've been progressing all my lifts nicely on a 4-day split. The only issue I have is pain at the hamstring origins at the bottom of the squat. I have been told by a physio to lay off squats and to avoid (I quote) 'any hip flexion compressional loading style training in favour of more open chain non compressive hamstring strengthening options just TEMPORARILY until the area is pain free on hip flexion, load testing and palpation pressure.' Excersises like Nordic hamstring curls and stuff with bands. Is there a protocol that I could follow to resolve this, or might there be a form issue I need to address?

Recent squat video (volume day set of 5 at 220lbs):

5 at 220 - YouTube

The "physio" was taught in physio school that a layoff heals tendonitis. A layoff does not, ever, heal tendonitis. Your squat depth is high, and the additional stretch provided by correct depth may produce enough stretch to force it to heal. Get an ART massage on it, take 4 ibuprofen/2 acetaminophen 4x/day for 5 days, and train through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    The "physio" was taught in physio school that a layoff heals tendonitis. A layoff does not, ever, heal tendonitis. Your squat depth is high, and the additional stretch provided by correct depth may produce enough stretch to force it to heal. Get an ART massage on it, take 4 ibuprofen/2 acetaminophen 4x/day for 5 days, and train through it.
    Mr Rippetoe,
    Thank you for your reply. In fairness to the young physio: I mentioned the contention (garnered from your podcasts) that tendinopathy does not heal with rest (and mentioned, in relation to epicondylopathy, that I fixed mine with lots of chins) and she AGREED wholeheartedly. She wanted me to train differently, for an unspecified period, rather than lay off. My intuition was telling me this was unlikely to work though, as the load doesn't appear sufficient to resolve it.

Regarding ART her reply was "massage will not help and may make it worse."

Thanks again for your swift response. I love the podcasts and have joined the network.

Gach deagh dhùrachd o Ghàidhealtachd na n-Alba
    Best wishes from the Highlands of Scotland.

Gilleasbuig Ferguson

Is The Clachnaharry still open on the road to Beauly?

Is The Clachnaharry still open on the road to Beauly?
    It is indeed. It's a while since I've been there, but will always remember a drink I had there with a friend from Skye, as it was the last time I saw him before he died. My mother lives in Beauly as it happens - did you stay there?

If your protocol fixes my ass I must send you some good Skye whisky. Have you tried our Talisker 18 year old?

I keep Talisker in the cabinet, but the 18 is too dear.

It is a bit pricey, but the best malt I have tasted. Special occasions/guests only!

Thanks again, deeper squat is bearable and feels like it is going force things to remodel. Very promising so far....

Rip- how often do you think is okay to do a course of 4 ibuprofen 4x a day for 5 days without fucking up your stomach permanently?

Probably once every 6 weeks. But even this heals.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Gill View Post
    I have been told by a physio to lay off squats and to avoid (I quote) 'any hip flexion compressional loading style training in favour of more open chain non compressive hamstring strengthening options just TEMPORARILY until the area is pain free on hip flexion, load testing and palpation pressure.' [/url]
    I'm a Physio and I had to re-read that sentence. I can't imagine saying that sentence verbatim to a Patient.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast