starting strength gym

Thread: Minor Hamstring Strain - 40 days out from powerlifting meet

Default Minor Hamstring Strain - 40 days out from powerlifting meet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

I had a minor hamstring pull a week ago while sprinting. Given that there was no bruising the next day, and it didn't feel awful, I went ahead with my planned workout: 1x8 @560lbs halting deads & 5x5 @410lbs paused pin squats. On rep 4 of the haltings, I felt an uncomfortable tightness in the strained hamstring so I just ended the set there. I proceeded to do pin squats which didn't aggravate it (I'm guessing due to the hamstrings working isometrically during the squat). A couple days later I did my other leg day: 2x3 @550lbs squat & 2x8 @410lbs SLDS. I feel a little bit of tightness during the heavy squats but not much and the SLDS don't bother it too much. However, my next heavy leg day I go for my planned 635lbs x 5 rack pulls and on rep 3 my hammy tightens up. I push through rep 4 and didn't have another rep in the tank. After doing this, it feels kind of like it did the day after I initially strained it where I feel a very minor discomfort if I bend over but nothing that painful. It definitely got worse after the rack pulls than how it felt the previous days but it isn't worse than how it originally felt.

I have a meet in 40 days, which means I have 4 weeks of heavy training before the taper begins. Would you recommend implementing some version of the Starr Hamstring Recovery Protocol? Given that the hamstring strain was so minor and I was still able to squat a new 3RM 4 days after it happened, I'm inclined to think it's not that bad. What would you recommend I do to heal this as soon as possible? Do I take a couple weeks off of heavy pulls? I'm nervous I will detrain right before my peak if I do. Also, I was thinking of doing something like 135x20x3 squats everyday to help speed up the healing process. Is this too light? I don't want to get sore from sets of 20 but also want it to be sufficient to aid recover (for reference I squatted 600 for a single 2 weeks ago). Thanks for your help. Alternating haltings and rack pulls have really been driving my deadlift up and it's unfortunate my stupid hamstring doesn't want to cooperate.

I'd just train normally if it's not killing you. It will heal in time for the meet.

Did you learn anything about sprinting for powerlifting?

Yes, I suppose I should have added that I'm not stupid enough to have been sprinting as part of my workout. I was at a bachelor party and we were paintballing, and I had to run without a gun while a line of people shot at me. I suppose I should have jogged and taken the additional bruises over muscle damage. Hindsights 20/20. Thanks for the help!

Hey Rip,

I know I originally said there wasn’t any bruising but it showed up a couple days ago. The strain occurred on a Saturday and I noticed the bruising for the first time the 2nd Wednesday afterwards (11 days). I woke up and the hamstring felt tighter than normal. I went ahead with my normal lift that night doing doubles at 570 for squat with no pain and then 2 sets of 415x8 SLDLs. For SLDLs I can feel just getting into position the pulled hammy is tighter but it doesn’t hurt. Maybe towards the end of the rep there’s a slight burning sensation in the pulled hammy but nothing bad.

Does the bruising shown change anything or should I just proceed as normal with halting deads tomorrow?

hamstring pull.jpg

The bruise just demonstrates the accuracy of your original diagnosis. Seems to be proceeding well, so carry on.

starting strength coach development program
    You are training at the top of intensity for a meet y you do running? So WTF...