starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Training with Umbilical Hernia (pain on and off)

Default Training with Umbilical Hernia (pain on and off)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I'm 39 and have been training with an umbilical hernia for a number of years. I first recall having pain from in mid-2017 (but didn't realize it was a hernia at the time) an hour after completing a training session. In 2019 it was "diagnosed" by my PCP during a routine physical and surgery wasn't recommended at the time. I recently started an NLP again, wearing a belt (in the right place) of course and now in the 6th week I have been having more frequent pain associated with the hernia, where I used to be able to go months with no pain, now I have it every other day at some point.

My current lifts are:
    SQUAT: 245 x 3x5
    DEADLIFT: 260 x 1x5
    BENCH: 180 x 3x5
    PRESS: 125 x 3x5

I scheduled a surgical consult for Monday next week, but I'm assuming surgery won't happen immediately (could be weeks or longer), so I'd like to keep up some kind of training in the interim that won't exacerbate the issue.

What lifts can/should I continue for now, and at what weights should be safe? Thanks!

Are you a fat guy?

5'8" and 215lbs. Here's a recent form check video. Not thin, but don't think I'm that fat...

Get a velcro belt and wear it above the other one. That may hold things together well enough. Have they suggested a mesh repair?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Get a velcro belt and wear it above the other one. ?
    So put on the velcro belt first (like this one?) and then the leather belt will go lower, but overlap the velcro? You would recommend this just for now, or permanently/post-op as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Have they suggested a mesh repair?
    I see the Dr. on Monday. I've heard you talk about hernia repair a couple times on the podcast/forums and understand that mesh is supposed to be the better option. Research I've seen shows that both with/without mesh have similar adhesion complications, but mesh has a much lower recurrence of the hernia.

I'll let the Dr. make his recommendation, and then push for a mesh repair if he doesn't suggest it first - or find another Dr. Do you have any other useful info re mesh/suture that I could bring into the office with me?

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    Not thin, but don't think I'm that fat...
    Neither fat nor that fat. You look comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg View Post
    So put on the velcro belt first (like this one?) and then the leather belt will go lower, but overlap the velcro? You would recommend this just for now, or permanently/post-op as well?
    Leather first, velcro overlaps.

Do you have any other useful info re mesh/suture that I could bring into the office with me?
    Don't take information to the doctor for him to read. This will not be well-received.

Thanks Rip. Finally saw the surgeon today. Fortunately he didn't try to talk me out of strength training (on the contrary). He recommended a laparoscopic mesh repair for the most durability in light of strength training. He also mentioned the possibility of a mesh repair solely through a small incision and the navel, but said the laparoscopic procedure would allow him to both suture and use a larger mesh.

It'll be 2.5 months until I can have the procedure done, and having had 2-3 recent incidents of the "tissue" pushing through the hernia cause severe pain, I'm going to stick to lighter lifting until the repair is done. I assume that after everything is healed I'll need to restart the NLP, right?

Were a second velcro belt on top of the hernia when you train. Should be fine.

starting strength coach development program
    Are these a problem if they dont hurt?

I have a small one right in the navel that was picked up on a physical years ago and I've done exactly nothing about it since then. If I didn't push on it occasionally when I'm bored I wouldn't even know it's there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast