starting strength gym

Thread: arm muscle pain from deadlifts

Default arm muscle pain from deadlifts

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello, 52 male. Recently dealing with injuries. first is knee pain from squats. I have never had knee pain. Took a break about a year ago and now my knees pop/crack all the time just from extending my legs. No pain. As soon as i start to warm up with just the bar in squats, the pain starts. very mild. As i get to max weight for my sets, it is very bad. I bought wraps and the first few times i used them it was amazing. no pain at all. I seriously had a smile on my face while doing squats. I guess i forgot what it was like to squat pain free. After about the 3rd time useign wraps the pain was back. it is only in my right knee. I started tightening the wrap up tighter and tighter and it helped some but eventually it just got worse. I finally gave up. took a week off and the pain was immediate as soon as i started to warm up. I was up to 3 sets of 335. I am now just doing 3 sets of 125 and its not to bad but the pain is still slightly there. This is extremely depressing. I am assuming this is old age catching up and i am screwed. I have always looked forward to squats so not being able to do them is as i said, literally depressing.

I figured i could at least be happy that i could still do the other lifts with no pain. Oh yeah, the knee pain does not happen at all during dead lifts. Anyway. Shortly after i reduced way back on the squat weight i was doing deadlifts and all of a sudden on the 3rd rep i had a pain in my upper arm, just above the elbow. Not in the bicep but in that area. Im not a muscle knowledgeable person so i don't know what its called. double overhand lift, no straps. The pain was very intense and just kept "growing" . I just dropped the bar. walked away and tried again, but as soon as i pulled, the pain was immediate. Felt like my lower arm elbow and below were being pulled away from the rest of my arm. So i just stopped for the day. The pain was there but not constant. it was only when i moved my arm but not when curling it up, more like as i extended it. like if i slowly extend my arm the pain would start as it got closer to being straight. 2 days later i am back in the gym. I thought i would just workout through the pain and see how it goes. This time, no dead lifts. I was going to do barbell rows. no problems with warm up sets. the pain in my left arm actually seemed to be going away. As soon as i get to my max workout set. Bam, same pain except its now in the right arm. I dropped the bar immediately . WTF!! Never had problems like this. I continued to work out and managed to finish the sets without dropping weight. Two days later, today, my right arm hurts. same as left was. it doesn't hurt when not moving but if i push on the area just on the side of the bicep, right around the middle. It is very sore.

No pain in the left arm now but all of sudden this morning i notice my left arm has a big bruise showing. Any idea what is going on? should i start doing more arm exercises. Am i just getting to old ? And for the knee pain when squatiing, any suggestions. I really really want to get back to heavy lifiting squats.

Need to see video of your squats, and probably your pulls too.