starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: deadlift injury - neck and trap area?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    How old are you/bodyweight/height/what are your lifts?

24, 93kg, 5'5, 270kg Deadlift, 220kg Squat, 150kg Bench

Sounds like your training is going well. Have you tried a chiropractor?

Change your pillows; you may be aggravating it at night.

And your mattress too. An often overlooked source of lots of problems.

I don't feel the burning sensation until I do particular movements (low bar Squat, deadlifts). I don't even feel it when/while sleeping. So far, it's been 13 days and it has gotten better a bit.

I actually think I'll meet with a chiropractor or someone who can give me a healing massage. I'd still like to know what it is and after days and days of anatomy research, I still can't find what muscles, joints or bones could cause it. I've tried all neck muscle stretches and never did any stretch provoke the burning sensation. Only the upper chest stretch does provoke when I put my arms behind my back.

But I've trained chest 2 times since the injury. Even did upper chest DB. Felt nothing. Zero. Shoulders? Nothing.

July update

A couple days after writing my last update, I went to see a massage therapist. He claims that I was very tight around the trap, neck and back area. He massaged the trigger points of the traps, some rhomboids and also my neck muscles. He then put a tape on my trap and along my shoulders.

A couple days later, I tried to train relatively heavy again and did the big 3. I felt little pain, and if it was an 8 on a 1-10 pain scale before the massage, it was then a 3. I managed to come close to 80% of my 1RM.

On this Wednesday, I trained without the tape. I only did deadlifts and bench press but I managed to get to 85%-ish on the deadlift. It was now a 1 on the 1-10 scale.

I still feel some discomfort sometimes as if my front neck was tight and impinged. But it hardly affects my training. Having a good body posture (also while exercising) definitely helps with that.

If anyone's interested, I also did a few exercises for the collarbone, massage the trigger points with a massage pistol and rested. It's now gone, not fully gone though, but now I'm talking about perhaps 10 or 15% of the injury that's still in the body.

Anyway, does it feel good to be able to train pain-free again. To this day, I still don't know what it was and is, but I'll continue popping in my clavicle/collarbone. I might write another update in a couple of weeks.

starting strength coach development program
    Hi! I got the exact same thing when deadlifting 4 days ago. I cannot find anything online about this other than this post. How was your recovery and did you find out what was wrong? Thank you in advance

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12