starting strength gym

Thread: Pulling Glute on Deadlift

Default Pulling Glute on Deadlift

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

I am 2 months into my LP (after a 3 years hiatus) and just got done attempting a deadlift earlier this afternoon 1x5 @ 305. Struggled mightily through the first four singles and then after a bit of a pause tried the fifth - a little bit of the way up I feel a pull on my right glute (I believe) and had to sit down immediately. Now it still hurts walking, bending, etc. I don't think I set my back correctly for the last one so that may have something to do with it.

My question is, should I skip DL for the next training session (Sunday) or attempt 305 again right away? I'm thinking I'll have to go to deadlift only 2x per week but don't want to impede any progress I could be making.

Ht 5'10"
    Wt 234 lbs

My "first three answers" are, I get 8 hr of sleep a night, ~3000 calories a day (comprised of at least 150g of protein), and I don't think set rest should be a question here for a 1x5.

Thanks for taking a look.

Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    …I feel a pull on my right glute (I believe) and had to sit down immediately. Now it still hurts walking, bending, etc. …
    No answers, just interested in how to sort out root cause - is it in the glute, or a lumbar impingement further up?

I've been working through some type of strain on a muscle in this region. My current plan is to continue my workouts as normal unless it hurts too badly during the set. I do a little bit more warm-ups before my work sets and monitor to see if things feel okay. If they feel okay I go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by GioFerrante View Post
    I've been working through some type of strain on a muscle in this region. My current plan is to continue my workouts as normal unless it hurts too badly during the set. I do a little bit more warm-ups before my work sets and monitor to see if things feel okay. If they feel okay I go for it.
    Thanks, I think I'll try doing this. Today its feeling much better, just a small amount of dull pain in the area and can move with much additional pain. I think I'll try to return to squats and DLs by the end of the week being very cautious about form and load sizing.

This seems to be somewhat typical during an NLP.

As far as rest for your deadlift, it does matter even with this one set. Make sure that you are not rolling straight into your work set after your last warmup, especially since it's typically the very last set of a heavy workout.

What were all of your lifts during this week's NLP? Believe it or not, those may be playing a factor in this.