starting strength gym

Thread: Knee pain

Default Knee pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello everyone! For reference, I am a 40-year-old male lifter BW 203. Been lifting since I was around 30 (my first NLP run). I have reached some respectable lifts in the past on doing the NLP and progressing to Intermediate training programmed by Mr. Andy Baker. Namely GGW and SM 40+.

I'm back after a significant layoff in 2021. Was off for about a year, so started over with the NLP about a month ago. Was able to move weights back up quicky in Phase 1, just changed over to Phase 2 last week. Current work weights are SQ 265, DL 355, BP 175.

Last workout, I felt a twinge in my right knee on the first work set. Didn't think much of it as the pain wasn't sharp, and I lost no strength during the subsequent sets. Iced it every day between that workout (on Friday), and this workout today (Sunday). Was strange as I've never had much issue with the squat getting injured below 300. I do recognize that I'm older now.

I took a video of this workout from the front and the side (will link it at the bottom, purple shorts). I can not see much of anything wrong with my form save I do move forward just a hair at the bottom. My hips are back, my back is tight at the right angle, I am doing Valsalva, the weight is above my midfoot, my knees are shoved out, and they are not traveling in front of my toes. I wore my SBD sleeves this round to try and assist with the "injury."

Now I have a dull ache (not sharp, but not normal soreness), and a small sharp pain when standing up from sitting down. I've included a picture for reference of the pain points. The pain seems to be at the Vastus Medialis insertion and is also present on the inner part of the kneecap. It also hurts where the patellar ligament attaches to the shin. If I stretch my hamstrings (straight legs, bend over and touch my toes), it feels as if the hamstring is "pulling" on the entire thing and it produces a similar pain.

During the workout, I could feel a dull pain but had no trouble moving the weights. My main questions are:

How to treat this?

Should I back off/Stop squatting? I do not want to do this if it can be avoided.

Is there a glaring issue with my form I'm missing that could be producing this? I do sometimes have a tendency to plant my feet wider than pictured. I'll include a video of my form of the last workout for reference. Orange shorts.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

IMG_1351.jpg

Squat from front (Today):
    Squat form front - YouTube

Squat from side (Today):
    Squat form side - YouTube

Squat from front (Friday, injury-inducing):
    Squat form (Injury producing) - YouTube

Squat from side picture (Friday, infury-inducing):
    IMG_1287.jpg

Your stance is too wide, but I don't see anything that would injure a knee. I think you might have gotten back to your previous training loads too quickly after the layoff. Take a light day and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Your stance is too wide, but I don't see anything that would injure a knee. I think you might have gotten back to your previous training loads too quickly after the layoff. Take a light day and see what happens.
    Mark,

You're probably right. I just felt really good on Phase 1 and stayed there for almost a month. I'll train the squat light on Wednesday (my Monday), and report back Friday (my Wednesday). Do you suggest advancing from today's load on that day, or redoing today's workout? Also, Wednesday's workout would include a progression of Deadlifts (365). Should I do those "light" as well?

As for the stance, is it "still" too wide in the purple shorts. I pulled it in about 2 inches from the other day. I don't feel like I can pull them in much more and fit my belly/belt between my thighs

Again thank you for the quick response on a Sunday.

You don't have a belly, and you should be wearing a 3-inch belt.

You don't have a belly, and you should be wearing a 3-inch belt.
    Thanks for the compliment but I'm no "abs" boy. My thighs are large (I believe because my femurs are very short in relation to my tibia). Around 25 inches last I measured. My Anthropometry is odd in my legs. My knees point outwards even when my feet are pointing forward. Maybe these are all excuses?

The recommendation for the belt is interesting. I thought 4-inch belts (what this is) were recommended? I have a "deadlifting" belt that is 3 in the back, and 2 in the front. They're from a reputable vendor recommended on this board (Bob's belts). I've had issues in the past with the belt riding into my rib and actually irritating a floating rib I have on the right side. You actually helped me through that issue some years ago. I wonder if the 3-inch would alleviate that?

On the light day, would you recommend backing off the deadlift as well?

starting strength coach development program
    Mark,

I think my belts are in line with that article? It may have even been the catalyst for me buying my belts back in 2015. I have the 4-inch (10mm thick) pictured in the above videos for squatting only. Upon further inspection, my deadlift belt is 3 inches in the front, and 4 in the back. Both by Bob's belts.

Are you suggesting switching to the 3-inch (front) for squats as well?

This video is from the same day my knee started bothering me after squats. My deadlift seemed unaffected. Still trying to determine if I should go light on deads or progress as normal while the knee heals.

Deadlift (turn sound down :P):

Deadlift form/belt - YouTube

Thanks again. I am actually traveling to the Denver area for business much more often and really need to get a coaching session on the books sometime.