starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calf strain that won’t go away

Default Calf strain that won’t go away

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,

To make a long story short, I first tore my calf in 2018 and it healed, although I didn’t rehab it properly and tore it again a year later in late 2019.

Then I started working a physical labor job and for two years my leg was swollen and felt like crap.

I have been working in an office for the past four months and my leg feels much better, but is still swollen.

I went to PT in December 2021 and it loosened up my calves but still had swelling. I’m not sure if I should even be doing PT with swelling?

My doctor hasn’t been much help so I came here because I trust the members of this forum more than anywhere online in terms of training etc.

No idea what to do, if I should be icing it or not? I started icing it again a few months ago.

I’m considering going back to PT but again not sure if the swelling should be gone or not before trying to strengthen the muscle.

Any input greatly appreciated. I just want to workout again more than anything.

Ice is bullshit. There is a scar in your calf where the tear healed improperly. And you may have a DVT developing. Probably needs an ultrasound exam.

The last ultrasound I had was March 23rd or so, they said everything was clear.

So I won’t ice it anymore. I just feel like if I pick up my lawn mower or something like that it’s going to prevent my leg from healing. Not sure what I should be doing. It’s been swollen for a long time. Thanks Mark

It would be really good to know why it is swollen.

It’s swollen from a grade 2 calf strain that didn’t heal, caused by lifting too much too soon. And then I started doing physical labor for two years. I just beat the hell out of it lifting all kinds of freight, grills, pools, car batteries etc. I’d also be walking five miles a day during working hours. It definitely got worse a couple of times during the two years. So probably overloaded it too much on two occasions or overstretched it. It never got rest.

It has gotten better since I’ve moved to an office job but still swollen and misshaped. Walking about a mile in the morning makes it feel better so I’ll probably stick with that. Any kind of lifting just makes it feel worse. But I have stuff to do around the house/yard obviously so that’s a little frustrating.

I’m thinking of just using a lacrosse ball on it again to break up the scar tissue.

I know you don’t like PT that much and to be honest neither do I. My first calf strain just healed in two months, but I didn’t put it through any work like I did the second time.

Any suggestions for how I should proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Everything heals. This has healed -- into a scar. If it is edema and not a scar, something is wrong and you need a diagnosis. If it is a scar, you're done.

so are you saying the scar tissue will never heal? It’s definitely feeling better.

It’s not like I ruptured the muscle or anything.

Scar tissue is what happens when the injury has healed. Scar tissue is the way it heals if it is rehabbed incorrectly.

Got it. So what should I do? Pull ups and chin ups for the rest of my life?

The swelling has to go away at some point. I’m going to have to start rehabbing it again. I’ve been stretching it and walking for the past six months.

It was a pretty average calf strain, never bruised or anything like that. Hard for me to believe I’m done, I’m only 33…. I will train again.

starting strength coach development program
    You're not done. Your calf is done all it's going to. Time to quit typing and start training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast