starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring Strain in Highschool football player

Default Hamstring Strain in Highschool football player

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am currently coaching a 15 year old boy doing the Novice Linear Progression. We are 3.5 weeks in and his football coach had the national guard come in and have them all do wind sprints at 7am. In the middle of these sprints he had what seems to be a minor strain in his right hamstring. This occurred yesterday 6/22/2022. In researching the best way to handle this I have read about the "Starr Protocol" of 3x25 in the back squat starting with the bar and adding 5-10lbs every day for 10 straight days and then reducing to 3x15, followed by 3x10 and finally back to 3x5.

I just wanted to be sure this is the best way of handling this.

He is currently 6ft 3in tall 170ish pounds. His back squat on Tuesday 6/21 was 170lbs for 3x5 and deadlifting 205lbs for 1x5. He had light bruising that has gone away and has swelling. Currently the pain is acute and he is wrapping, icing, and taking anti Inflammation medication.

Should I have him do this protocol and should he deadlift as well (light weights high reps like the squat?)

Should the Press and Bench be trained normally on the days he would have done them as well?

When should have I have him start if so?

Are these animals going to insist that he run tomorrow?

My two cents: Do not ice it. It doesn't help and Dr. Gabe Mirkin (The inventor of R.I.C.E) came out in 2015 and said he was wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Are these animals going to insist that he run tomorrow?
    He sat out his last football practice. The football team is having practices Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday during the week. I train him Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I will try to ensure he sits out while its healing.

I see him tomorrow on 6/25. Should I proceed with the Star Protocol I mentioned in my original post?

Do I have him Deadlift during this as well? And Should continue to train the Press and Bench normally?

Have him either squat or deadlift, whichever hurts it the most. Train the other lifts normally.