starting strength gym

Thread: Clicking Sensation in Knee Squatting

Default Clicking Sensation in Knee Squatting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For a while now I’ve been experiencing an unusual clicking in my right knee squatting and wanted to see if anyone with a similar experience could offer any solutions for it. For reference I am a 19yo male, best squat 365x2.

Any time my right knee undergoes a certain degree of flexion under load, I can feel something “click” or “pop” over to a new place medial to and slightly down from the patella. If I run my fingers between the end of my VMO and my kneecap, feeling the side of the knee I can palpate something shifting from one spot to another as I approach parallel in a squat. It is painless and I continue to train on it but it is off-putting to feel something pop from place to place at the bottom of every squat. Doctor suggested it could be a torn meniscus (he wasn’t sure) but I have no history of acute injury and no instability in the joint. He also tried to tell me squatting to depth would tear your meniscus so this makes me more doubtful of that idea. Any help or ideas are much appreciated, thanks.

Could be several things. Learn to squat with a much more vertical shin, and the knee will stop clicking.

Hey Mark, I can try to get my shins about as upright as they can be without me falling over and still feel something click/shift out of place in the knee as I reach depth. To the point where I would be about folded in half in the hole. Any suggestions for something I could try in conjunction? Could any accessory movement provide some possible utility?

Try a knee wrap.