starting strength gym

Thread: Osteoarthritis in Cervical Spine + Inferior Labrum Tear

Default Osteoarthritis in Cervical Spine + Inferior Labrum Tear

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Will,
    thanks for taking the time to read this post.

I have received MRI reports which show Osteoarthritis in my Cervical Spine and a Labrum Tear in my left shoulder. The reports are shown below. I have been referred to a Neurosurgeon.

I first noticed shoulder/trap/shoulder blade issues when Pressing. In the start position of the Press I have weakness in the left shoulder/bicep area and tenderness in the lower shoulder blade area. Once when doing Bent Rows I got a very sharp stinging pain across my upper back.
    When Deadlifting I get frequent pulls in my left Trap.

At night when lying down I sometimes get a shooting pain in the back of my head which at its worst feels like a vessel is ripping in my head. Other times I feel no pain but do feel a shooting sensation.

I am 50yrs old and until recently I was doing
    Low Bar Squat
    Press/NGBP/Dips
    Deadlift/Bent over Row/Chins
    + Some LTE/Bicep Curls + Side Bends

If you have the time can you let me know what strength training(if any) should be done to rehab the neck and shoulder.

Left Shoulder Report
    There is minimal degenerative changes at the AC joint. The Acromion is low lying with narrowed acromiohumeral space measuring 5-6mm.

Minor high signal seen within the distal supraspinatus tendon in keeping with mild tendinopathy.

The remaining rotator cuff tendons to include the long head of biceps are all intact.

Although not optimally visualised there is a 7mm Paralabral Cyst and accompanying tear involving the Inferior Glenoid Labrum.

No muscle tear or other abnormality seen.

Cervical Spine Report
    Desicated Discs from C2-3 through to C6-7 level with well marked disc space narrowing at most levels and there is minor (2-3mm) degenerative retrolisthesis of C3 with respect to C4.

There is a broad based disc osteophyte at the C3-4 level with what appears to be moderate exit foraminal and nerve root canal narrowing bilaterally.

There is a right posterolateral disc osteophyte at the C4-5 level with high grade right exit foraminal and nerve root canal narrowing.

There is a broad based disc osteophyte with a left preponderance at the C5-6 level with what appears to be moderate to high grade left exit foraminal and nerve root canal narrowing.

There is a further broad based disc osteophyte at the C6-7 level with moderate exit foraminal narrowing bilaterally.

Normal signal throughout the cervical and visualised upper thoracic cord.

Thanks Will for taking the time to go through such a long post.

Will's off today. What did the surgeon say?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Will's off today. What did the surgeon say?
    Hi Mark,
    I'm waiting to see him. My doctor sent a referral last Wednesday to the Surgeons Practice.

My doctor is obviously more concerned with the Cervical report than my injured shoulder.

Keep us posted.

Will do, I was told today that the appointment with the Surgeon will not be until August.

I have Physio appointment tomorrow to see what rehab can be done in the meantime.