starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in Shoulder During Low Weight Squats

Default Pain in Shoulder During Low Weight Squats

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys, new here and I just wanted advice on what I can do to manage some shoulder pain I have been getting. Here’s the deal:

Three weeks in SS and here are my stats:
    6’0 195lb body weight at start to 205lb
    Squat: 195lb
    Bench 105lb
    Press 70lb
    DL 190lb (weak grip issues, started using chalk which helped immensely)

During squat warmups I get intense right shoulder pain when going into the bar position while using just the bar. This pain then disappears as soon as I get over 135lb on the bar. I also have a shooting nerve type pain in my right shoulder when pressing, and I suspect the two are related. I have a feeling it could be a flexibility issue and have been doing some stretch exercises using a broom where I bring the broom from the top of my head to behind my back using my arms/shoulder. Is there anything else I can do to eliminate this pain? My shoulder crackles and pops regularly too.

Thanks,
    Dodds

You are going to have little aches and pains for the rest of your life, whether you train or not. All of us learn to deal with this.

Alright I will learn to suck it up and see what works for me. One more question if you don’t mind. Is there a point of diminishing returns for gaining bodyweight? Listening to your podcast regularly you advocate people getting big as soon as possible. I don’t care about my body image I just want to know at what weight would it be disadvantageous to be gaining pounds in a short amount of time. I am aiming for 250 within a year at 6 feet. Is that too much? Too little?

When you're gaining bodyweight faster than your lifts are going up, you're eating too much. This won't be a problem for several months if you are doing the program correctly.