starting strength gym

Thread: Shoulder Bursitis & Bicipital Tenosynovitis Training Recommendations

Default Shoulder Bursitis & Bicipital Tenosynovitis Training Recommendations

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am looking for advice on how to manage a client's shoulder injury.

Male, 54, 5'8", 210, started training in April, Squat 285x5x3, Close Grip Bench 85x5x3, Press 45x5x3, Deadlift 320x5. Retired infantryman who now sells insurance. He beat the piss out of his shoulders doing burpees and crossfit style activities for the last few years. His press and close grip bench press are low because he could only tolerate pressing a broomstick at the start due to shoulder pain. He made good progress but had an aggravation of the shoulder pain when he got to a close grip bench press of 90x5x3. After that I was able to finally nag him into getting the thing imaged after years of shoulder pain. X-ray didn't find anything wrong and here are the findings from the ultrasound:

FINDINGS: There is a small amount of fluid in the tendon sheath of the bicipital tendon indicating a change of tenosynovitis. Both the supraspinatus and subscapularis are heterogeneous in texture consistent with tendinosis. No signs suggesting presence of rotator cuff tear are seen. Abduction view shows no evidence of joint impingement. There is minimal thickening of the subacromonial/subdeltoid bursa in keeping with mild chronic bursitis. Some degree of synovial thickening as well is present involving the AC joint in keeping with synovitis.
    OPINION: Tenosynovitis of the bicipital tendon. Heterogenicity of supraspinatus and subscapularis consistent with tendinosis. Thickening of the subacromonial/subdeltoid bursa in keeping with mild chronic bursitis. Synovial thickening of the AC joint in keeping with synovitis.

Right now he's off due to an unrelated surgery. My take is that when he resumes training all of the problems with his shoulder should be manageable with ibuprofen. Nothing in that ultrasound report suggests an imminent risk of injury to me from lifting. Overhead pressing does not bother him too much so the approach I plan to take is to swap out bench pressing for heavy rows for a few weeks until the symptoms resolve themselves, as it has been recommended a few other times for shoulder bursitis on this forum.

Am I on the right track here?

You are. He has an inflamed shoulder, looks like that's all. Train him through it.