starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pain in right flank around bottom of ribs while deadlifting

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by aweight View Post
    My body fat is around 14% based on a DEXA not too long back. Are you saying I’m underweight for the weights I’m lifting or “clinically underweight” from a medical standpoint? I did read that your advice is that “fully grown men must be at least be 200 lbs”, but am hoping there is room for those of us with more modest strength goals than that weight suggests to benefit from your advice.
    200 lbs is for someone 5'8". You should be aiming for 250. You will feel significantly better physically and mentally at those weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    BMI does not apply to a trained population.
    What a useless response ignoring an important part of my “minimum BMI or muscle mass” question posed in response to your “clinically underweight” claim that I can only assume you are unable to actually defend.

Let's revisit your question, since you didn't like the first answer.

May I ask how so many people work their way up to 2.5x to 3x body weight lifts even at lighter body weights? My lifts are much more modest at around or barely 1.5x. Is there a minimum BMI or muscle mass you recommend to be at all lifting the weights I’m lifting?
    People who work themselves up to 2.5 - 3x bodyweight lifts at light bodyweights are 5'3". That's why we all recommended that you gain weight, and why we told you that BMI does not apply to trained individuals.

In your forties, doing crunches, weighing 150 at 6'1". I get being a thin individual for decades, been there. Ribs get injured, also been there. Hopefully your injury is no longer with you at this point. Ribs can heal quickly while continuing to train (with caution) while not doing anything special (ask me how I know!).

Managing recovery from lifting is not as easy for older populations, including people in their 40s. I would encourage you to gain weight. It can be done, and it's not so bad (again, ask me how I know!). I understand it would be a change, but change is unavoidable--it's just a question of what the change is going to be. The advocacy here is for bigger, stronger and less frequently injured, and part of the process is gaining weight. I'd also advocate for younger, but nobody's figured that one out yet.

On another thread, your weight previously got a big reaction:

Clarification on your advice “Nobody can get big and strong on 2500 calories”

Responses here aren't going to change. There's plenty of material on the site covering this issue. Here's a classic article on weight gain (from a guy who claims he used to be 6'1", 155)--good luck!:

Eating Through the Sticking Points | Matt Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by J. Killmond View Post
    In your forties, doing crunches, weighing 150 at 6'1". I get being a thin individual for decades, been there. Ribs get injured, also been there. Hopefully your injury is no longer with you at this point. Ribs can heal quickly while continuing to train (with caution) while not doing anything special (ask me how I know!).

Managing recovery from lifting is not as easy for older populations, including people in their 40s. I would encourage you to gain weight. It can be done, and it's not so bad (again, ask me how I know!). I understand it would be a change, but change is unavoidable--it's just a question of what the change is going to be. The advocacy here is for bigger, stronger and less frequently injured, and part of the process is gaining weight. I'd also advocate for younger, but nobody's figured that one out yet.

On another thread, your weight previously got a big reaction:

Clarification on your advice “Nobody can get big and strong on 2500 calories”

Responses here aren't going to change. There's plenty of material on the site covering this issue. Here's a classic article on weight gain (from a guy who claims he used to be 6'1", 155)--good luck!:

Eating Through the Sticking Points | Matt Reynolds
    Thanks, my flank/rib injury healed a while back. I had continued reduced-weight training through it and did increase calories more determinedly but still barely 2500C because that makes me plenty overfull. I’m hardly opposed to gaining weight for strength — that would be illogical — and have gained nearly 4 pounds in the few weeks since starting the thread.

I just don’t believe in arbitrary numbers like 200 lbs (or like 250’ish advocated by SS for my height) or 4000 C/day or more for my modest strength goals (mentioned in the other thread) and modest but steady rate of progress with which I’m satisfied for now.

Why are arbitrary numbers for strength goals acceptable to you but arbitrary numbers for bodyweight are not?

And for the record, those bodyweight numbers aren't strictly arbitrary, they represent a weight at which a guy your height is going to get reasonably strong.

The calorie number (4k) is definitely not arbitrary, it's pretty middle of the road for a guy your size and body type to make good progress on this program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by aweight View Post
    I just don’t believe in arbitrary numbers like 200 lbs (or like 250’ish advocated by SS for my height) or 4000 C/day or more for my modest strength goals (mentioned in the other thread) and modest but steady rate of progress with which I’m satisfied for now.
    But 14% on a Dexa scan is an arbitrary number.

On a more conciliatory note, I know what it's like to see advice like that and ignore it because you think your idea is better, or that this other guy gives different advice that you like better, or because you think you can modify what is being told to you. I know because I've been there and tried all 3 of those scenarios because I was pig headed and stubborn. Having tried every other solution and compromise before just listening and doing what was told to me, I can safely say with confidence that I was wrong, and I wasted a year or so because of that mistake. Having increased my body weight and numbers I can tell you that I've been skinny and I've been less skinny. Less skinny is better, there's something that comes from just having meat on your frame that can't be communicated untill you just do it. I know what your thinking, because I've thought it, and you will be better off trying and just seeing what happens. Just get to 170 pounds first and see how you feel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12