starting strength gym

Thread: SI joint instability

Default SI joint instability

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi,

I have mild hypermobility. 2 years ago I saw a chiro for neck pain, he also adjusted my SI joints several times. A couple of hours after the 4th adjustment I had significant backpain (never had back pain before).
    Couldn't bend over or sit for the next 2 months. Had MRI done which was negative: no disc herniation or any other issue. I later figured out I probably have SI joint instability which the adjustment made a lot worse.
    I was able to slowly rehab with squats and deadlifts while wearing an SI belt.

Due to my femur/hip socket configuration, I can only squat to slightly above parallel, before some very minor butt-wink occurs. As soon as I have any degree of butt-wink, this can trigger
    an SI joint pain episode, i.e. I will have mild to severe back pain and trouble bending over, walking stairs, getting up from a seated position, etc. for several days.
    The same goes for deadlifts. I currently pull from a 1-inch pad. If I pull from the floor I could (and have done so) irritate the joint.
    But if I have a painful episode light deadlifts help instantly (given I don't re-irritate the joint).

Please note that other things like sitting in a bad position or playing Volleyball without an SI belt can also trigger this pain.

1) Is squatting slightly above parallel (maybe 1 inch) and lifting from the pad fine given my situation?
    2) Are there any negative consequences to me wearing an SI joint belt (Serola) during my heavy lifts? I usually do the light warm-up sets without the belt.
    3) Any treatment ideas? I heard prolotherapy might be an option.

Thank you for any input.

Typically, you can squat to depth by adjusting your toe/knee angle while playing with stance width. Take some time next workout to experiment with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Typically, you can squat to depth by adjusting your toe/knee angle while playing with stance width. Take some time next workout to experiment with this.
    Hi Rip.
    I can squat to depth, however not without allowing a very small amount of butt-wink. This butt-wink can cause my SI joint to get irritated and lead to back pain, especially with heavier weights.

Also, is it fine for me to wear an SI belt during workouts?