starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Prednisone prescription

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    CORTICOsteroids (catabolic steroids) are quite different than ANAbolic steroids. The former destroy tissue and the latter build tissue. Cortisol is the body's catabolic steroid, and the sex hormones are the body's anabolic steroids. Study this further, and it will be apparent that there are profound differences.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    CORTICOsteroids (catabolic steroids) are quite different than ANAbolic steroids. The former destroy tissue and the latter build tissue. Cortisol is the body's catabolic steroid, and the sex hormones are the body's anabolic steroids. Study this further, and it will be apparent that there are profound differences.
    Makes sense. So I guess the solution is to start a heavy course of anabolics, huh? (joking of course).

So the main risks of lifting during/soon after taking Corticosteroids is an increased likelihood of tearing a tendon or a muscle. Plus the challenge of a potential loss of muscle mass.

I know that you recommended that the OP wait 1 month before attempting PRs, but that’s after a longer period of heavier use of the steroid than in my case. So maybe starting on Monday I reset all my lifts to 90% and progress

… progress my NLP from there? Or is that still too heavy too soon after taking the steroids?

I don't have Rip's vast coaching experience but I believe it would be unlikely for a Medrol Dosepak to have significant effects on training. The first day is essentially a burst of cortisol to treat the inflammation which is causing the problem, followed by a taper to minimize the disruption to your endogenous cortisol production.
    40mg per day for 10 days is more concerning. Still not a long term, chronic dosage but it is likely enough to disrupt the adrenal axis. However, breathing is important.
    I do not know how stressful your training sessions are but cortisol is released in response to stressful situations (physiological stress) and if your adrenal axis is inhibited by the exogenous prednisone you may not be able to respond to the stress appropriately and have an adrenal crisis, which can be an emergency.
    Personally I think that is unlikely from training, but it is a risk and you should be aware of it. It would likely be wise to lighten your weights while on prednisone, and probably for a week or two after it is finished.
    The long term catabolic effects of corticosteroids are real and cause significant damage throughout the body but are usually restricted to the people who are on daily prednisone for years (in the past it was asthma, now mostly RA or other autoimmune diseases), but I am sure there instances where people on short term steroids suffered injuries which may or may not have been a result of the medication.

What do you mean by appropriately responding to stress? Like the inability to rest physically and mentally, to recover from life's stressors? Or do you mean having a proper response to some kind of SHTF situation? I can already feel that everything is off. Terrible sleep, jitters, bloating, weird energy swings, water weight. Ready to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Kansan View Post
    I don't have Rip's vast coaching experience but I believe it would be unlikely for a Medrol Dosepak to have significant effects on training. The first day is essentially a burst of cortisol to treat the inflammation which is causing the problem, followed by a taper to minimize the disruption to your endogenous cortisol production.
    40mg per day for 10 days is more concerning. Still not a long term, chronic dosage but it is likely enough to disrupt the adrenal axis. However, breathing is important.
    I do not know how stressful your training sessions are but cortisol is released in response to stressful situations (physiological stress) and if your adrenal axis is inhibited by the exogenous prednisone you may not be able to respond to the stress appropriately and have an adrenal crisis, which can be an emergency.
    Personally I think that is unlikely from training, but it is a risk and you should be aware of it. It would likely be wise to lighten your weights while on prednisone, and probably for a week or two after it is finished.
    The long term catabolic effects of corticosteroids are real and cause significant damage throughout the body but are usually restricted to the people who are on daily prednisone for years (in the past it was asthma, now mostly RA or other autoimmune diseases), but I am sure there instances where people on short term steroids suffered injuries which may or may not have been a result of the medication.
    Thanks a ton for your response. Totally makes sense, and I’ll plan accordingly! I’m feeling more relaxed about it all now.

starting strength coach development program
    Sorry, what I mean are physiological responses to stress. An adrenal crisis is when the body requires more cortisol than is available and the result is very low blood pressure and an increase in serum potassium. I have seen it happen and it can be life threatening, but it is also rare.
    The symptoms you are having are probably mostly due to increased serum glucose. Corticosteroids increase blood sugar 20-30%, maybe more.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12