starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prednisone prescription

Default Prednisone prescription

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I was just prescribed 40mg of prednisone per day for 10 days to get a very unpleasant asthma flare-up under control. I'd prefer not to be taking a corticosteroid, but this flare-up is nasty, affecting lots of aspects of my life, and I need to start breathing again. Any considerations that I need to make from a strength training or diet perspective?

If you have to take it, do so. Don't try any PRs until a month after you stop the prednisone.

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    If you have to take it, do so. Don't try any PRs until a month after you stop the prednisone.
    Well this is concerning…. I had no idea.

Today I’m finishing up a 6-day course of methylprednisolone (total of 21 4mg tablets).

This morning I hit PRs on DL (325lb) and Press (117.5lb) and achieved my Squat weight (230lb) and am planning on adding 5 pounds next workout. Although I must admit that squat has started to feel harder since taking the methylprednisolone.

Am I supposed to temporarily pause the NLP and stop progressing for a bit after taking the steroid?

You got a Medrol Dosepack, right? Why?

You got a Medrol Dosepack, right? Why?
    Yes—where you take 6 pills the first day, then 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Because my foot doctor prescribed it to take care of some pain and inflammation due to tendinitis that I had been dealing with for a month. I tend to be rather trusting of doctors and thus didn’t do the homework I should have. That’s on me and I’ll be more careful in the future.

In addition to your pending reply questioning my intelligence (fair enough, haha), does that change my NLP programming?

It obviously interrupts it. Fucking doctors.

It obviously interrupts it. Fucking doctors.
    Well that upsets me. Quite a lot. Any recommendations on what I should do? And any resources I can read to understand why/how it interrupts it?

Coach, why? Are other steroids included?

starting strength coach development program
    I did a little online perusing and found surprising little on the effects of such anti-inflammatory steroids on weightlifting. I saw that EXTENDED use of such steroids can cause tendon weakening and muscle loss. But I’m guessing, based upon your reaction, Rip, that in your experience even short-term use can lead to similar results?

So for tomorrow morning do I just lift at 80% for my lifts? (Squat, Bench, PC)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast