starting strength gym

Thread: Adductor Tendonitis

Default Adductor Tendonitis

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    SS Team,
    I have been recently experiencing symptoms that apear to indicate adductor tendonitis.

• Pain radiates into the thigh or up into the abdomen.
    • Pain is diffuse and vague for location.
    • Pain with exercise
    • Stiffness in the morning, after exercise and with rest.

Personal Background:
    6'0" ~200 lbs, ~17% BF, age 36. Benching 235 three sets of five. DL 325 for fives. Squat 225ish pre this injury for three sets of fives. - These are all numbers that are prior to this injury but still low relative to my history due to last injury (neck)

History of injury:
    First noticed when playing soccer about 2 months back. Felt at first almost like DOMS in adductor and just took a knee and stretched it a bit and played on. At that time I was Lifting inline w/ an NLP design - 3x a week and had my squat around 225 lbs. It got progressively worse specifically during and day or two after soccer. Also started to limit my squat capacity and would hurt substantially when I was warming up but I could generally push through until the pain subsided for about 30 minutes to do my training then the pain would return thereafter.

Steps taken:
    I deloaded my squat and started back up from 95 lbs which was all I could do pain free a few days after playing soccer. I tried to progress that with just 10 lbs a week and keep playing soccer and hiking etc. This didn't work so I dropped lifting the squat for last 2 weeks, I have continued to DL but dropped off ~10%. I also stopped playing soccer for the last 2.5 weeks. Everything has felt pretty much fine with just a bit of ache at the adductor origin on the pubis so I thought I could try to start back at it again.

Current:
    Played soccer last night and first jog of the event (warming up before even kicking a ball) the thing started to hurt pretty good. I babied it through the game, mostly jogging around and playing with the other foot. It hurt pretty bad but not as bad as previously and today it is really sore all down the leg and into the lower abs again. I am scheduled to squat tomorrow and was planing on trying to go back up to 135 but having second thoughts given the pain.

Question:
    I have read previous threads around similar injuries that had recommendations for isometric work and found this article referencing advice from Nick and another guy. Is this still the recommended steps to recovery? Have you guys found a new/better method for treating this type of issue?

Vary your squat stance width and toe angle, and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Vary your squat stance width and toe angle, and see what happens.
    Rip,
    Just finished workout. Only stance and toe variation I could stand to go up to 135 was feet just inside shoulder width and toes pointed straight forward. After a few warm up sets of various foot angle and position combos I did 3 set of 5 at 135 with close forward stance today. Should I just progress weight with that alteration until pain subsides?

That's the correct approach.