starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift failed,

Default Deadlift failed,

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I was doing my 335lbs set of 5, Did get the 4 reps was easy, suddenly on the 5th rep, Some pain on my lowerback, the pain was there about 30 mins , then slightly reduced, (I didn’t do anything). How many days rest should i do before Deadlifting again? Should i reset my DL? Is 7-10 days rest enough?

Do you have a video of the deadlift in question?

What did it feel like when you tried to deadlift 135lb at the next workout where you were supposed to deadlift?
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

newtoss2022 — just in case you didn't catch what Coach Lewis was throwing to you, you don't take time off. Work through your warmups during your next scheduled deadlift session and see how the back feels. Most likely you let your back round during that last rep of 335 and pulled something minor (although it doesn't necessarily feel like that). So during those warmups and that workout, you focus on keeping everything tight, as it should be.

So this deadlift workout was 335x5. What was your squat work that session? If it was a light squat day, what was your heavy day just prior?

My comment is not meant to imply that if your next deadlift workout was programmed to be 340x5 (not likely, but just in case) that you were to do that because that's what's programmed. You work your way up in weight through the warmups and use those muscles, even if it means that you only get to 60-80%. Prolonged rest is not beneficial.

Quote Originally Posted by newtoss2022 View Post
    Hello

Training log

Thursday :
    Squat : 280 x 5,4,2 failed
    Deadlift 330 x 5
    So i decided to reset 5%
    And work my squat twice a week with a lightday
    And i got greedy by going back to alternating PC/ DL
    Although once a week DL is working adding 5lbs each session

3 days after
    I squatted 265 x 5 x 3 , felt good,
    DL 335 x 4 and the last rep i hurt my lowerback, maybe because i am not recovered, because i moved to alternating PC/DL maybe the weight is too heavy to do it 3x every 2 weeks, so maybe 1x per week DL is enough when i reach to 315,

I got greedy by adding frequency,

After that sharp pain i wasn’t able to bend over, I didn’t panic, I REALLY CANNOT BEND OVER CANT TIE MY SHOES AND REMOVE MY SOCKS EITHER

As i took the advice of Nick SSC , he said i need to keep moving and train with tolerable pain,

The day after lowerback pain
    I went to the gym
    Warm up
    As i warm up lowerback feels good
    So i Get under the bar
    Load 135 lbs do a couple sets of 5
    Do my deadlift 135lbs 2 sets of 5
    Dis my cardio and finish all the lifts

The following day
    I went again to the gym
    Load 185lbs do 2 sets of 5
    Same for the deadlifts
    Knowing i have the schedule to do the next day
    270 x 5 x 3

Today :
    I feel so good the pain have subside,
    I warm up
    I get under the bar
    Bar x 10
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 2
    I test if i can hit 245 x 1 with out pain
    Thank God it was easier
    I load up 270 x 5 got my set of 5 no pain at all
    I was a bit worried so i just did some back offs with 245 x 5 x 2 continue the reset
    Did my press and finish it all

Just wanted to share to y’all how effective is moving and resting is not an option,

Should i continue to reset my squat since its my first , go 255 the next workout, work my way up to 275,?
    Or should i push through it? Since

I want to ask if i should go back to DL once per week, what would be the load, ? Maybe a 10-20% reset? I haven’t reset my DL, and what would be the appropriate frequency,

Thanks Be To God
    Have a nice lift everyone
    Kudos to all SSC 🙏

This is some current training log i’ve done,
    Thanks so much guys 🙏

Hello coach, thanks for recognizing the post, i have a new thread “ Advice of Sir Nick SSC/ Deadlift failed” as i log all my traning after the failed and after the sharp pain on my lower back

starting strength coach development program
    Prior to that i did Squat 265 x 5 x 3 it was smooth but i think alternating PC/ DL is no longer appropriate and get recovered from, Yes now i will add light squat/ DL and work my way up again, how much should i reduce from the load from my next DL dont know how to post the thread. But i have a new training log after the injury “ Advice of sir nick ssc/ deadlift failed lowback pain”