starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pain in bicep area

Default Pain in bicep area

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi

I’ve had this about 4 months now. Got pain located in my arm, somewhere around where the long biceps tendon is located. I’ve been for an x ray, which showed no issues. Been for an mri which showed no issues. I’ve been referred to physio which I’m not interested in doing.

I have tried training through this with multiple exercises. Pain is most evident in pressing and bench pressing. I’ve tried lowering the weight and slowly increasing on the press, and when it gets to a certain point, the press starts to slope on the injured area and the pain can get quite bad:

I’m really out of ideas here. I’ve been training with the press for 10 years and never had a problem. I started doing press ups late on into my lifting career and this is when the pain has started, so could possibly be linked to those. Shall I just continue to try and push through this? I have no idea what the injury is and apparently neither does the doctor.

Any advice would be useful. Thank you

Show us the MRI report.

I wasn’t given one. Doctor made no mention of this, just said results were completely normal aside from some fluid around the bicep area.

Not an expert or an SSC disclaimer:

I also get this issue while benching, specifically during the descent. I find it most often occurs when I've been lazy about doing my chins.

I assume it's bicep tendinitis. I just keep benching and pressing, and use the "pin firing" protocols found all over this board and then it goes away again for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick1984 View Post
    I wasn’t given one. Doctor made no mention of this, just said results were completely normal aside from some fluid around the bicep area.
    A radiologist prepared an MRI report. Ask for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick1984 View Post
    If the GP doesn't give it to you, which he might not. As an alternative you could call the radiologist direct and say you are going to see a Physio and would like the report to bring in for your first appointment. That's worked for me in the past.

Sorry for the late reply. I asked for this a while ago and this is what I’ve been given. This is copied and pasted from the email.

Diagnosis:​Pain musculo-tendinous junction left long head of biceps

I saw Mr ……back in clinic today. His pain remains unchanged. It is solely noticeable in the gym and does not bother him in other activities during the day.

Examination of the biceps is unremarkable but he does get pain particularly on a Speed’s test today. The MRI scan is essentially normal.

Mr …..has not had any treatment to date and hopefully the physiotherapists will be able to help him settle this down. I have discharged him from my care.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for Mark but this is what they have given me.

if you can't get the radiology report, I can't tell you much.

I have once again requested the report and will present it when or if they decided to give it to me.

starting strength coach development program
    Who paid for it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast