starting strength gym

Thread: Elbow position in squat, possible tendonitis

Default Elbow position in squat, possible tendonitis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Good news: I've been honing in my squat form over the last few weeks and I'm excited with the progress (knee slide seems all but gone). To top it all off, 265 is a new PR and felt light!

Bad news: My elbows are beginning to bother me during workouts and throughout the day. I've encountered this in the past from squatting and have either fought through it or stopped squats for a few weeks to get relief.

Is there anything in my setup that can be tweaked? Bar position, hand position?

Thanks!

Squat - 265 - 9/1/22 - YouTube

Your grip is too wide, not enough of your hand is on the bar, and your elbows are too high.

Thank you, Rip!

In addition to what Rip said, is this a standard 28.5-29mm barbell? Looks really thick to me. What's your height and weight?

The gym I used to train at had a 32mm squat bar and whenever I used that thing it made me hurt.

Great catch on the bar width. I was using this wider bar because of the center knurl. I switch to squatting with the 29mm bar. Along with Rip’s advice, this has fixed up my elbow issues.