starting strength gym

Thread: Starr rehab protocol for calf muscle injury

Default Starr rehab protocol for calf muscle injury

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Didn't see anything in the forums on this, so if something already exists, please point me toward it.

Was out coaching baseball yesterday and took off after a fly ball and immediately felt a pop in the calf, and it seized up.

Have used the Starr rehab method on a torn hamstring in the past and it worked as expected, but unsure what to do for the calf, since being a PLer I dont pay any direct attn to my calves normally.

What just some high rep sets of weightless calf raises, eventually graduating to weighted sets, increasing the load over time, etc?

Just want to make sure I am not missing forest through the trees.

Thanks in advance.

Is your Achilles tendon involved?

Not at all. Inside head of the left calf. Pain is localized to that specific area. Achilles tendon isnt even tight.

And by the way, the injury occurred just under 24hrs ago.

This is one injury that will actually respond to walking, and you can start immediately, tonight even.

thx

Update: I've been walking on the calf injury for the last few days and though my mobility has increased slightly, a fraction too much flexion or extension produces acute pain (the sensation is somewhere between an electric shock, and a rope being tightened very quickly). Coinciding with having begun walking, swelling in the leg has increased, as my ankle bone is no longer visible and my foot's beginning to swell also.

I want badly to avoid seeing a doc for this, who will just order an MRI and tell me to sit around and rest it while scar tissue forms. However, I need to know if increased swelling during this rehab period is to be expected, because I don't want to cause damage either.

Start your calf raises today. Ice it directly on the bruise, and get somebody to massage it from distal to proximal. If it gets worse, get it looked at.

starting strength coach development program
    Will do. Much appreciated.