starting strength gym

Thread: Horrible and sinister words from my doctor

Default Horrible and sinister words from my doctor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I´m recently 36 years old and I had my first episode of lower back pain about 3 weeks ago. It happened while I was doing an exercise jumping on one foot on a step with my right foot, and suddenly when I landed I suddenly noticed a pain in my left buttock towards the middle. It is rare that I get injured and today that pain has disappeared, although I continue with the area of the left pelvis somewhat resentful.A few days ago I visited the traumatologist to tell him about my event and try to find out what happened to me. For this, he sent me to do an MRI that they will do for me when December arrives.
    The fact is that I didn't like what he told me at all, without even knowing the diagnosis. He was a doctor from the Jurassic era with very preconceived ideas. He wouldn't even let me tell him details that in my opinion are important and could be related to the current event, such as sports injuries I had during my adolescence that were not properly rehabilitated and caused me to have a slight limp when walking in my left leg. I doubt he knew what a kinetic chain is. The thing is, he automatically started telling me that lifting weights is bad for the spine and causes disc wear. That from the age of 35 the bones begin to age and that they must be allowed to age and not subjected to load. That having more muscle mass is carrying more weight than the bones can support and is like carrying a butane cylinder. I tried to tell him that lifting weights, as long as it's done right, is good for our health because it helps prevent osteoporosis and maintain muscle mass. He told me it was nonsense. He told me the case of sports patients such as a former professional soccer player (who did not do Starting Strength) and he ended up with prostheses in both knees. Actually, he told me about physical activity in general, not specifically about lifting weights. He also told me that it is normal for all of us to experience an episode of lower back pain after a certain age, although he told me about the case of some younger than me who were physically active. According to him, the only ones who do not suffer from lumbar pain and spinal wear are those who are always seated. According to him, all physical activity is bad for health.
    I left the consultation a little terrified by the negative messages that doctor told me, but also disconcerted by something that is the first time it has happened to me and was never part of my reality. I don't think it's to stop lifting weights. I would like to know your opinion on this matter.

I think you should stop lifting weights, because if every time you get hurt you are going to go to the doctor, you will probably continue to post stupid shit like this on the forums, and I don't want to see it.

I've only been on the forum for a few years but this is definitely my favorite response so far.

1 keep doing weights

2 stop doing this
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugo View Post
    It happened while I was doing an exercise jumping on one foot on a step with my right foot.