starting strength gym

Thread: Bicep Tendonitis and shoulder Impingement

Default Bicep Tendonitis and shoulder Impingement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello everyone,

My stats: 19yr. old, 6ft3, 232lb. with long torso and been doing the Starting Strength LP for about 10 months.
    Lifts (before injury): Squat - 340lb, Deadlift - 430lb, Press - 160lb, Bench Press - 260lb, Power Clean - 170lb.

My problem started with a wide grip on the Squat that leaded to flaring elbows as the first video will show. The pain started gradually and i did not notice for a couple of weeks and continued to train until the pain did not allow me to perform the bench press anymore. I felt numbness on my left arm during the workout and sharp biceps pain when i try to bring my forearm and bicep to touch eachother. This pain was followed by shoulder cracking everytime i rotate my sgoulder 360°.

I lowered the weight with about 20%, fixing my squat form (the second video) taking in consideration my long torso and did the Chinup Protocol followed by Barbell Curls (3x15reps) twice a week for two weeks. Since I did not see much improvement on my bicep pain, I consulted a doctor wich comfirmed my diagnosis of Bicep Tendonitis and Shoulder Impingement. He put me on Indomethacin 75mg per day for three weeks (currently on the first week with medication) and told me not to strain my left bicep for 4-6 weeks. I keep on doing the workouts and the pain is much smaller but I can see that my bicep still hurts so my question is should I keep trying to inflame it with high-volume Chinups and Barbell Curls until the problem is resolved or is there another way?

Lastly the pain on my bicep will not allow me to perform Power Cleans correctly since when my bicep touches my forearm it gives me pain. A video with my Power Clean will be attached too.

I appreciate any response that would help me solve this problem and any type of advice on the form on my Squat and Power Clean.
    Many thanks,
    AA

Squat Incorrect Form 155kg/340lbs - YouTube
    Squat After Grip Correction 127.5kg/280lbs - YouTube
    Power Clean 77.5kg/170lbs - YouTube

Barbell curls are not part of the rehab protocol.

Bad, bad arm pull on those cleans.

Squats are high in the first video, high-bar in the second.

I have had shoulder surgery on both arms. Isn't the worst thing ever, but I would for sure try to rehab before they end up having to go in and most likey at your age do a bicep tendosis and cuff derberment. You may have a thick acoromion that needs shaving as well. Anywho let the inflmation die down some and start doing presses and chins with 20 percent less then what u normally do. If that doesn't help after 3 to 6 months you may need surgery. Once again isnt that bad but takes some time to get back to pain free bench pressing.

Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it. I will try to fix the problems.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlind Agastra View Post
    I lowered the weight with about 20%, fixing my squat form (the second video) taking in consideration my long torso and did the Chinup Protocol followed by Barbell Curls (3x15reps) twice a week for two weeks. Since I did not see much improvement on my bicep pain, I consulted a doctor wich comfirmed my diagnosis of Bicep Tendonitis and Shoulder Impingement. He put me on Indomethacin 75mg per day for three weeks (currently on the first week with medication) and told me not to strain my left bicep for 4-6 weeks. I keep on doing the workouts and the pain is much smaller but I can see that my bicep still hurts so my question is should I keep trying to inflame it with high-volume Chinups and Barbell Curls until the problem is resolved or is there another way?...
    These do not work together.