starting strength gym

Thread: Valsalva/spontaneous pneumothorax

Default Valsalva/spontaneous pneumothorax

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I started training a couple months pre-covid. Which I worked my Squat 195lb, BP 160lb/Press 100lb, DL 285(6'1" 205lbs)

I bought a rack and finally got back to training 07/09/22. I started back off at Squat 135lbs, BP 135lbs, Press 80lbs, DL 135lbs(6'1" 275lbs). On my 16th session I squatted 180lbs and BP 170lbs. Unfortunately, I had to stop and couldn't DL the 220lbs that session. (10-16-22)On my 17th session since I did not DL I re-squat 180lbs.

On my 2nd set 3rd rep about halfway out the hole, along the medial border of my right scapula it popped approx. 5x superior to inferior. This wouldn't be the first time I had some awkward pops(My last session pre-covid in the press, it felt like my right scapula popped back and down at lock out of my 1st set. I've had better mobility and the shoulder discomfort I dealt with for years went away). I paused at the top for about 5-10 seconds just to gauge everything. I then did the 4th and 5th rep and racked the bar. I felt a whole bunch of inflation in the scapula, typical body response. This happened at about 12:45pm. I spent the next 12 to 15 minutes moving the shoulder around making sure there were no serious issues. 3rd set, reps 1 through 5 felt great!

I unloaded the bar and decided to press instead of bench again. Which I chose to redo my last press.

45x5x2
    60x3x1
    75x2x1
    95x1x1

110x5x1 Once I racked the bar I damn near collapsed. So approx 30-45 minutes went by between scapula pop and the completion of set.

By 4pm I had an X-ray, then a CT which confirmed my right lung popped and was down to 30% capacity. After 130mg of Ketamine, they punched a hole between 1st and 2nd rib of my chest to put a Thora-Vent. By 11am on 10-18-22 an X-ray confirmed lung was back to normal. 4pm Thora-vent pulled, 7:45pm discharged.

So here I am 2 weeks later still processing what happened. It feels like I'm on the tail end of a chest cold and I've been dealing with a lot of discomfort and occasional pain in my shoulder. It's weird, because it feels like all the muscles that attach to the scapula are battling for control. I lived a very sedentary life style, so it's to be expected using muscles in a way they've never been used before.

I'm still trying to figure out if the shoulder pop and lung pop are two separate events(Almost 45mins!?!?). I may have had my lungs near max capacity when pressing.

Is it possible that having my lungs maxed out, with the valsalva, and force production could have caused it?

I know we need to take a big breath when performing the valsalva, I'm thinking maybe not that big of a breath. Thoughts?

I also know this could have been a freak incident. Once I am recovered, I want to get back to training.

Anyone else know someone or experienced a pneumothorax themselves, what did you/they feel?

My apologies if this thread is in the wrong section.

Thanks in advance

First I've ever heard of this. What do you mean by "my right lung popped"? What did the surgery report say? Do you smoke?

According to the Doctor, one of my alveoli basically ruptured making a hole in my right lung. They put a Thora-vent on my chest, which has a tube that runs into my thoracic cavity. As I would breath in, the expansion of my lung would push the leaked air out of my thoracic cavity. Due to the intervention, my lung was able to expand back to it's full capacity and the hole in my lung closed up on its on. No surgery necessary.

Do you smoke?

Quit cigarettes 02/2015. Marijuana "was" a recreational weekend (not every weekend) only thing.

starting strength coach development program
    Dunno, man. Since nobody else has reported this having happened, let's just hope that it won't happen again.