starting strength gym

Thread: Upper arm tendon pain and bar position

Default Upper arm tendon pain and bar position

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I recently started training again after hernia surgery in July. My last 2 squat sessions led to pain in my left arm. Here is a picture showing exactly where it hurts. I can pinpoint the pain to a tendon here (sort of between my outer bicep and triceps) by touching it, and I have pain and weakness up my arm to my shoulder.
    unnamed (1).jpg

I don't have a video of the squats (will take video on Monday), but from what I read on the forum, seems like I've got the bar in the wrong spot and/or my back isn't tight enough so the weight is resting in my hands. I've been using the cue to pinch my shoulder blades together, but something isn't working correctly.

1. What is this type of pain called? Is it golfer's elbow, bicep tendonitis, something else?
    2. Which of the 3 images below is closest to a correct positioning of the bar? My shoulders are very tight (repaired my right labrum 10.5 years ago), and I always feel like the bar isn't low enough, so I stretch my shoulders past their limit to get the bar into the correct position. But I think that causes my elbows to go up too much.

Narrowest/highest
    IMG-8363.jpg

Wider/lower
    IMG-8364.jpg

Widest/lowest
    IMG-8365.jpg

Looks like tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis). Do the chin-up protocol.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I see, ok. Thanks Coach!

I read this article on the protocol, and remember a podcast where you discussed it. One thing is unclear though: should I (will I be able to) continue training normally while doing the rehab? I just started NLP 2 weeks ago and would love to continue.

If so, should I do the chins on training days, or in between? The articles says two times per week, I train M/W/F, so what days are optimal for the chins?

Is tennis elbow pain usually below the elbow? My pain is above the elbow, all the way up the outside of the humerus, ending at the rear shoulder joint.

I'd have to look at it. Stop by the gym some afternoon so I can see what your actually talking about here.

It’s a long trip from NY, but I sincerely hope to make it there one day soon

I tried some chins (which I suck at) an hour ago. Will try to make it though the protocol. I assumed it made more sense to do them in between training days, or should I try doing them after finishing training sessions?

How many chins can you do?

How many chins can you do?
    I was able to do 6 sets of 2 or 3 reps this afternoon. I couldn’t do it from a dead hang, instead, I gave myself a boost off the bench, and I couldn’t quite get my chin over the bar, but pretty close.

Then you'll have to use a lat machine. Pick a weight that's heavy for sets of 5 and do 10 sets.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't have access to a lat machine in my home gym. I ordered some bands on Amazon to do assisted chins tomorrow, which I recall you mentioned in a podcast once. Hopefully that does the trick. Assuming I'm capable, should I do 10 sets of 5 band-assisted chins, or some other amount?

In related news, I took a wider grip today (thumbs on the inner ring), and I was able to jam my palms onto the side of the bar, not underneath, so it didn't aggravate my arm too badly. I could feel the weight on my back/shoulders way more than I had felt it on my hands/arms previously, which was wrong of course. All in all, it was an improvement.