starting strength gym

Thread: Fixing Patellar Tendinopathy with Box Squats

Default Fixing Patellar Tendinopathy with Box Squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Folks.

I'm currently running a NLP, using box squats instead of regular squats in an attempt to heal my stubborn patellar tendonitis. I decided to do so after watching this video: Using Box Squats for Knee Tendonitis with Mark Rippetoe - YouTube

I do these with a '3-5 second descent, a brief pause while maintaining position, and then a 1-2 second concentric', according to this advice from Mr. Will Morris: The SS approach to tendinopathy management

I'm box squatting x2 a week with a tight wrap. Switched to x2 a week a couple of months ago after doing heavy/light/heavy. Pain has generally reduced since I started the NLP but my knees still flare up regularly. Whenever I try to squat above 155lbs (70kg) they tend to flare up. (I'm 5'9, 178lbs)

Does anyone have any advice on how to approach this?

Should I stay at 155lbs for a while and hope that the pain completely subsides or try to progress up in weight? Should I wrap my knees at all?

I'm also doing chins instead of power cleans as explosive movements tend to bother my knees a lot. I decided against replacing them with squat cleans or power snatches (or even barbell rows) for the same reason: Power Cleans and Patellar Tendinitis

I'm 31 and have had chronic tendonitis for around 6 years, caused by road running and hitting a heavy bag several times a week in my garage, which has a concrete floor. Sometimes my knees flare up after just walking for a while.

I've went to physios who have prescribed me nonsense stretches and exercises that have done fuck all.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Chris

It's probably your technique. Video?