starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Carpal tunnel syndrome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Wow, I’m scheduled for surgery January 13th for carpal tunnel syndrome, wonder if I can beat it with this chin up protocol.
    Thanks for posting this info gents, I will be searching that next.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    I think maybe one of the reasons the chinup protocol works is that your whole body is hanging in tension, while a hammer curl is an isolation movement.
    As further evidence for you I've been formally diagnosed with carpal tunnel and ulnar tunnel from sports when I was younger and over a decade working in front of computer. Hand swelling, total numbness, etc. After starting the armstrong pullup program ages ago now I noticed I didn't really have as many issues (it was actually mostly gone except when the weather aggravates it). The hanging in tension is the key here I think. The nerves running through your elbow and wrist are very particular about positioning and I wonder if that does something to "realign" them via muscular development.

It may just be that the tension decompresses the tunnels enough over time that the inflammation goes down.

I wonder if hanging could fix it. I do know the chin-up hand position pisses off whatever I have to no other, and not having an adaptation to the stress. I’ll try just hanging from a pull-up position to see if it provides any relief.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I wonder if hanging could fix it. I do know the chin-up hand position pisses off whatever I have to no other, and not having an adaptation to the stress. I’ll try just hanging from a pull-up position to see if it provides any relief.
    Bumping this older thread because I'm curious if the hanging helps at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12