starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carpal tunnel syndrome

Default Carpal tunnel syndrome

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I developed cts probably form laying bricks all summer and fall, and was wondering if anyone has any updated protocols for it? The search function showed NSAID’s and wrist stretches, but I am just checking to see if that is still the correct course of action.

Has it affected your training?

Honestly no, other than cleans seem to aggravate it so I’ve been snatching instead. My only concern is potential muscle wasting down the line if I don’t correct it, other than that it’s just a little discomfort, numbness, and loss of function.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I developed cts probably form laying bricks all summer and fall, and was wondering if anyone has any updated protocols for it? The search function showed NSAID’s and wrist stretches, but I am just checking to see if that is still the correct course of action.
    I'm reasonably certain that chin-ups had the unintended side effect of not only fixing my medial epicondylitis but also some pesky carpal tunnel that I'd been dealing with for a while. I was doing the chin-up protocol that has been outlined on here numerous times and realized one day that I hadn't been having any carpal tunnel issues in a while. Definitely not definitive evidence, but I'm pretty sure that's what fixed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank_B View Post
    I'm reasonably certain that chin-ups had the unintended side effect of not only fixing my medial epicondylitis but also some pesky carpal tunnel that I'd been dealing with for a while. I was doing the chin-up protocol that has been outlined on here numerous times and realized one day that I hadn't been having any carpal tunnel issues in a while. Definitely not definitive evidence, but I'm pretty sure that's what fixed it.
    I was wondering about that, it worked great for me as well for golfers elbow. I might as well give it a shot; when I’m in that position I can feel a lot of tightness running up my forearms like strings on a banjo.

Let us know how it works. Would be very interesting if it replaced another surgical procedure.

I will follow up on this, thanks for the idea frank.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsonville View Post
    I was wondering about that, it worked great for me as well for golfers elbow. I might as well give it a shot; when I’m in that position I can feel a lot of tightness running up my forearms like strings on a banjo.
    Yep. I know exactly what you mean by the forearm tightness. I didn't keep a good log of how the carpal tunnel felt because I wasn't focused on it. I just know that it was somewhere towards the end of the chin-up protocol that I realized I hadn't been dealing with any carpal tunnel issues for a while. It would be interesting to see how yours responds. I program a "maintenance dose" of chins into my workout at least 1-2 times a week and I haven't experienced any epicondylitis or carpal tunnel issues since.

After six sessions this unfortunately has been aggravating my issue more than helping it. I’m starting to think part of my issue is with my ulnar nerve since the pain goes to my outer two fingers too, so clearly there’s something else going on as well. Just to be clear, I did not particularly expect for pin firing to work for this situation, but was just giving it a blind try.

starting strength coach development program
    I think maybe one of the reasons the chinup protocol works is that your whole body is hanging in tension, while a hammer curl is an isolation movement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast