starting strength gym

Thread: Another CPAP Thread

Default Another CPAP Thread

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Have read through several other CPAP threads on the boards. Wanted to share where I am at. Starting to use a CPAP and I'm on day 2. I've basically committed to using it continuously for 30 days to see what effects it has. Everything I've read says that it takes that long for your body to adjust to the treatment. I am a well documented snorer and I know I have sleep apnea. I believe the sleep study showed I was "waking up" at least 30 times an hour.

5'11 and 225 lbs. 30 years old. PRs from this year squat 320 3x5, bench 210 3x5 and DL 355 1x5. Trained with SSC Andrew Lewis. Will miss him as he moves to Indianapolis.

I am realizing I do not have a baseline for where I was before starting treatment. I did an at home sleep study with a device strapped to my head and have those results, but I doubt I'll be able to get a second study with that device to cross reference. There is only so much space on my face for electronics. I want to have some data on my sleep in case I get to the end of the 30 days and I don't really feel different. I know the machine has some externalities like dry mouth and interrupting sexy time with the wife and and I want to be able to prove to myself if those externalities are worth putting up with.

Does anybody have any experience with sleep tracking devices? I've looked at whoop bands and fit bits. I really just want to track my REM cycles. I don't get terrible sleep, but it could certainly be improved upon. My sleep before treatment has been fair I'm looking for long term health improvements. I have not tried Rip's method of treating with oxymetazoline and a saline wash. Likely will at some point but going to try treatments one at a time.

Will post an update after 30 days.

The Federal Reserve is a private bank cartel.

My CPAP experience needed no additional sleep study or other digital metrics to confirm results. Abatement of multiple symptoms for me was immediate.

There's some number of reasons you sought this out, right? If those things change, then you're getting what you want. If they don't change, then I suppose you can ask your provider about it from there. The CPAP itself should have some of its own readings, if you really want them, but (like with many things discussed here) you want to treat symptoms, not numbers.

Dry mouth may depend on the type of mask you use. The only time I get dry mouth/sore throat with my nasal pillow mask is when I'm nasally congested, but oxymetazoline helps immensely there.

As to marital relations, the life hack is that you can take it off for that...or not...everyone has their own style.

I’m a data device addict user so here’s my input…
    To reliably track sleep cycles, you need a device that tracks HRV (heart rate variability).

The newest Garmin generations claim to do this, but they are all over the map for me (and my friends) for sleep tracking, I think the technology isn’t there yet for them. It won’t even give you an HRV number, just a “body battery” score. I move a lot in my sleep and have very vivid dreams. It has never once recorded more than 20 minutes of REM sleep for me, by comparison my whoop tracks 1-2 hours. Now I just use my Garmin for tracking cardio activities with a chest strap. To give them some credit, I think part of the problem is that their devices don’t fit well on my small lady wrists, so husband has better luck than me and my lady friends.

The industry best sleep tracker is an Oura ring. They’ve spent a LOT of time developing their technology and analytics. Downside is that it totally sucks at tracking activity, you might as well not wear it during the day. I certainly don’t recommend wearing a ring while lifting. Plus they’re expensive especially if your fingers change size and you have to re-buy.

I’ve compromised on the Whoop. It’s fairly reliable for me and my recovery score usually matches my perceived recovery. I also like that you can track different activities (eg wearing the CPAP) and their algorithms will analyze the results for you and tell you the contribution to sleep quality and recovery. The downside is that it’s a monthly subscription with a minimum 6 month commitment the first time you buy it. I find myself only activating the subscription a month at a time to test something new, because $30 a month is kind of a lot. Also all the processing happens in “the cloud” so you have to wait a while after you wake up or complete an activity for the analysis to be done, which just annoys me because then I get busy and forget to check in and do my habit journal. It’s middle of the road on activity tracking. It tells me I only burn 1600-1800 calories a day, which is incredibly rude and also not true (my maintenance is something like 2300). And it’s not good for HIIT workouts where heart rate varies a lot, but no wrist device really is. Just wish it worked with a chest strap like Garmin does.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerBen View Post
    Have read through several other CPAP threads on the boards. Wanted to share where I am at. Starting to use a CPAP and I'm on day 2. I've basically committed to using it continuously for 30 days to see what effects it has. Everything I've read says that it takes that long for your body to adjust to the treatment. I am a well documented snorer and I know I have sleep apnea. I believe the sleep study showed I was "waking up" at least 30 times an hour.

5'11 and 225 lbs. 30 years old. PRs from this year squat 320 3x5, bench 210 3x5 and DL 355 1x5. Trained with SSC Andrew Lewis. Will miss him as he moves to Indianapolis.

I am realizing I do not have a baseline for where I was before starting treatment. I did an at home sleep study with a device strapped to my head and have those results, but I doubt I'll be able to get a second study with that device to cross reference. There is only so much space on my face for electronics. I want to have some data on my sleep in case I get to the end of the 30 days and I don't really feel different. I know the machine has some externalities like dry mouth and interrupting sexy time with the wife and and I want to be able to prove to myself if those externalities are worth putting up with.

Does anybody have any experience with sleep tracking devices? I've looked at whoop bands and fit bits. I really just want to track my REM cycles. I don't get terrible sleep, but it could certainly be improved upon. My sleep before treatment has been fair I'm looking for long term health improvements. I have not tried Rip's method of treating with oxymetazoline and a saline wash. Likely will at some point but going to try treatments one at a time.

Will post an update after 30 days.

The Federal Reserve is a private bank cartel.
    I have tried a few devices and haven't found one that is that good. Nor have I had any doctor give me a recommendation for one when I asked. As long as you understand that they are compromises those devices will be acceptable.

I am curious though. Do you live somewhere remote where a professional sleep study location is unavailable? If not, I would just call your doctor and ask politely for an in-office study in 14-30 days. Anecdotally speaking, when my father was put on his CPAP (he's well over double your age) he noticed a dramatic difference in sleep quality the next day. I can understand wanting to quantify it (and you should!) but personally I would try to get a second professional study done and only if you are told no by your doctor would I go to other devices.

As a final point don't fuck with sleep apnea. Central sleep apnea cannot be diagnosed by at-home devices. To get a DDx on apnea you need to go to a sleep lab. If you can do that, please do before trying any unproven treatments.

The people you live with and know you best will notice a change if your sleep apnea is treated. Less irritability, better outlook & mood. My husband was in denial about the change, but the rest of us saw it clear as day.