starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: excruciating pain - hip impingement?

Default excruciating pain - hip impingement?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Starting strength coaches or fellow lifters,

I hope this post finds you well.
    Two weeks ago I was squatting, and I felt a strong pain on the lateral/posterior side of the hip as I was coming out of the "hole". I believe it's because I allowed my knees to go forward and I went to deep. But the pain was not debilitating. Later that week, when I was going to pick the bar of the floor, during deadlifts, as I was coming up, I felt a sudden pain in the same region, and I had to stop. The pain was very strong, and spread through the lower back.

A few days later I trained once again, using box squats and a lighter weight, and I managed just fine, as the pain was subsiding. Yesterday, I felt that I had recovered, so I did my box squat sets, and proceeded to attempt to deadlift. I was using a very light weight (40 kg). As I was pulling of the floor, I felt like two bony surfaces scratched against each other, and I felt that very strong pain again, which forced me to stop.

I have pain when sitting and standing up, but If I use a wide stance, less so. I have also pain rotating the torso when sit.

I was wondering If you could help me understand what this is, and If I can adapt training in the meantime. I can do the upper body stuff fine, but I believe free squat and deadlift are out of the frame for sometime.

I have no idea what this might be. You'll need to get an MRI if the hip region.

First of all, coach Rippetoe, thank you for your reply.

Do you think I can carry on Box Squats in the meantime? I feel to pain doing them.
    I feel extreme pain when I try to tilt the pelvis posteriorly, or when I am with my back on the floor and try to touch with my lower back on the floor.

I will check for the MRI with insurance.

If the pain is as acute as you describe, don't train through it. Get a diagnosis.

Will do,

Thank you very much, Coach Rippetoe.

check for a leg length discrepancy

LLD would not cause a sharp pain in the hip joint.

It did with me.

What did the LLD do to your hip?

starting strength coach development program
    Started with sharp pain in the left hip. Tried to train through it. Pain became worse. Eventually I figured out I had a LLD, corrected it, and now can squat without pain in the hip.
    I also have congenital spondyloysis, but it has not inhibited my squat.
    I am not saying the problem is LLD for the OP, just that it could be. If 70% of the population has one, and it's easy to check, why not do it? Could save time and money. At the very least they would know whether or not they have one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast