starting strength gym

Thread: Possible Latissimus Dorsi tendonitis? - Pin Firing technique applicable?

Default Possible Latissimus Dorsi tendonitis? - Pin Firing technique applicable?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

I'm a 5' 9", 195 lb, nearly 44 year old male who has been experiencing sharp pain in the posterior portion of my left shoulder joint for several months. I perceive this to be lat tendonitis as it hurts like hell during chins, any rowing motion, as well as with heavy deadlifts. The first set of chin-ups are pretty damn painful, but later sets typically become bearable although unpleasant.

I apologize if this has been discussed previously, but all of my searches tend to turn up forum responses on elbow tendonitis. These are quite familiar to me as I've used your pin firing protocol with great success with that particular injury in the past, but I haven't seen anything on my particular issue now.

I suppose my question would be is this an injury with which you are familiar, and does it seem like something that would also benefit from the pin firing technique? I've already completed two sessions using three rep sets (I can typically do 9-10 chins) with 16 sets during the first workout and 18 in the second. It's just as unpleasant as it was for the elbow tendonitis, so I'm hoping that it will be equally effective for this... I'd love to get your thoughts when you get a moment.

Recent 5RMs
    Squat: 370*5
    Bench: 242.5*5
    Press: 167.5*5
    Deadlift: 435*5

As a side note, I wanted to say that I've thoroughly enjoyed your interviews with both Dr. Malcom Kendrick as well as Dr. Keith Nichols. I had a heart attack just before my 40th birthday, so as you might imagine, I've become keenly interested in the real cause of heart disease. Dr. Kendrick's hypothesis is the only one I've read that makes any fucking sense at all. I'm also in the process of moving my HRT over to Tier 1 thanks to the info presented by Dr. Nichols. Thanks again for these interviews, and all that you and your team do.

Sincerely,

Troy Finley

Let's review the lat anatomy: insertion is on the proximal/medial/anterior humerus. How did the pain start? With a discreet injury?

Pinpointing the exact location of the pain is difficult. I initially thought that it might be a posterior deltoid injury, but I do not feel the same pain when doing banded face pulls or bent over dumbbell raises. I do not typically perform these exercises, but tried them out to test the limits of the injury.

My first recollection of the pain came while doing chins after a layoff. I recall no other instance that would have accounted for the initial injury, but that set of painful chin-ups did not seem like an injury event in itself. The pain I felt then, is very much the same pain that I feel now, months later. I know this isn't helpful, but hope that it at least makes sense.

Without a diagnosis, I'd say keep doing the low rep/high set protocol and see what happens.

Will do. Thanks, Rip