starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoulder problem and what to tell my doctor

Default Shoulder problem and what to tell my doctor

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hi everyone,

Reading this forum I've come to understand that you need an MRI to get a proper diagnosis for shoulder pain, but how do you argue that you need to get an MRI?

my doctor so far prescribed an X-ray and an ultrasound from which they concluded it was shoulder impingement, I'm to discuss treatment next week and I'm fairly sure they'll prescribe eight weeks of physiotherapy and rotator-cuff exercises, I want to ask for an MRI but right now my only argument is "Starting Strength Forum told me so" which should be good enough but I'm afraid will get rejected.

You only have one doctor? Are you incarcerated?

Sadly yes, "Free health care" in Denmark means you get assigned a doctor and you get whatever they tell you.

It takes several months to change to a new clinic, which I've done several times, the one I have now is the most flexible one yet as he at least graced me with an ultrasound.

I do plan on eventually leaving for the great state of Texas but until then I'd love to continue pressing.

Post a video of your presses.

Quote Originally Posted by RasmusR View Post
    Sadly yes, "Free health care" in Denmark means you get assigned a doctor and you get whatever they tell you.

It takes several months to change to a new clinic, which I've done several times, the one I have now is the most flexible one yet as he at least graced me with an ultrasound.

I do plan on eventually leaving for the great state of Texas but until then I'd love to continue pressing.
    There are a lot of people in the states that need to see your comment.

I work with a guy whose shoulder was killing him. We have a job that requires a lot of lifting and he could barely use it. He went to a doctor and they x-rayed it, decided he had arthritis or some shit and gave him a cortisone injection which didn't help at all. A few weeks later he went back saying the injection didn't help so they finally sent him to get an MRI. Turns out his shoulder was barely hanging on by a thread. It was all kinds of fucked up. He ended up having surgery to repair it. Why they didn't set him up with an MRI right off the bat is beyond me.

I don't know the extent of the pain you're in but if it's a true injury and not a technique problem or just a temporary ding that happens to most everyone eventually, you need an MRI to accurately diagnose it.

Good luck. I hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for the fast reply, here's the video:

Overhead press form check - YouTube

Pressing doesn't hurt too bad even at "heavier" weight, my current work set would be 130 lbs, however any front raise motion, bench press or incline press hurts.

I did the Bill Starr protocol for 3 weeks in December with the overhead press, warming up the shoulder with hangs and pulldowns first, my shoulder got a lot better but once I resumed normal programming (novice progression with no bench) it started getting worse again.

Would appreciate your advise on how to best proceed

These are not textbook presses, but an empty-bar set of 10 tells us nothing. What happens when you do 3x5 at weight?

Thanks. Went back over the videos, made some adjustments and added some weight (110 lbs):

Overhead Press form check w. Weight - YouTube

Update from the doctor: based on the x-ray and ultrasound saying it's impingement he's proposing either 10 days of ibuprofen or a cortisone shot and then seeing a physiotherapist.

Thoughts? If I need an MRI what can I tell them might be overlooked from just the x-ray and ultrasound?

There's nothing terribly wrong with these presses. How bad does it hurt? Is it keeping you awake all night?

starting strength coach development program
    What does your squat grip look like?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast