starting strength gym

Thread: Hamstring DOMS or strain?

Default Hamstring DOMS or strain?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Last week I noticed pain in my left hamstring after 3 straight workouts of deadlifting with 10 lb jumps (only a few weeks into the nlp). Not a sudden sharp pain during a set, but something that developed afterwards. Mistakenly I have been lowering the bar too slowly, which I understand causes soreness. However this pain has not gone away after taking a break from heavy deadlifts. I decreased frequency and managed a set of 5 at 10% back off with no issues. No pain increase, but still really sore. How do I know if it is a strain/pull/tear? I am 39 years old, 5'9", 170 lbs, deadlift up to 245 lbs.
    Squat at 190 lbs but reset to 175 after filming myself....form not great, but improving. Pretty sure it's from deadlifting, but thought I would mention that. Thanks in advance for any help!

Only the left side?

Yes. I also want to say that the pain is worst when getting up after laying or sitting down. It feels like a rush of blood to the area, similar to a bad bruise. Then it's tightness, causing a limp. That's what made me think its more than just DOMS.

I skipped squats and deadlifts today and just did press, bench, and chins. Feels a bit better.

Where on the back of your leg is the pain? Is there a bruise?

From the back of the knee up about halfway. Mostly on the left side, but still on the back. No bruise.

Mark,

Not sure if my previous response made it through. No bruises on the surface. The pain is from the back of the knee up about halfway and is mostly on the left side of the back leg. It is certainly not the extreme pain described by others on this forum with verified tears, but it is also not the post-workout mild soreness that I have come to expect. I wonder if it might be a very minor tear that I did not notice during the lift, but felt like DOMS later, and so I trained through it and made it worse. Maybe I will ice it for a few days, then try something like Starr rehab, or just reset my lifts at 60-80% and make smaller jumps.

Thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    Without seeing it in person I can't tell you anything with accuracy. Get a massage on the area and train through it, because you have to train through it.