starting strength gym

Thread: Golfer's or Tennis Elbow or Something Else?

Default Golfer's or Tennis Elbow or Something Else?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have never played tennis nor golf to know what either elbow pain feels like so I am not sure if I have either or something else. I have had this weird feeling in the crease of my elbow for a few years. More often than not the feeling comes during and after heavy presses and bench presses. Occasionally, after the squat. The pain doesn't feel like a sprain nor a strain. It is frustrating because I can't put my finger on the actual location. The only way to describe it is: when the pain is at full force it feels like when I had an abscess tooth years ago. I could put my finger on the tooth and the gums but I couldn't put my finger right on the source of the pain. And it had me doubled over on the ground in pain. I can put my finger right in the crease of my elbow but I am unable to touch the source of the pain.

The days in between training, a slight pain sensation is there. Sometimes I get a quick, split second feeling that my arm is about to give out when sipping a cup of coffee. It never does but that is the feeling I get. It also feels like my arm is "giving out" on the first rep of each work set on the bench. At about the halfway point on the descent. It makes it hard to control and get a quick stretch reflex at the bottom.

I avoid pain meds. I have been able to work through it in most cases but I am at the point where I am considering a doctor's visit. I failed the press at 175lbs. It could be that I have finally stalled but the pain on that day was unbearable. I also failed a heavy single at 230lbs on the bench. I adjusted my grip about 1/4" narrower and it seems to have helped on the bench. And I have since surpassed that without any other failures. I did a slight reset on the press to 160lbs with no issues. No issues at 162.5lbs. But failed miserably at 165lbs.

I hope I gave enough description. And I say all that to ask, should I get this looked at?

40 years old (first started training with barbells at 35)
    205lbs body weight (165lbs at 35)

Probably a result of the squat. This is discussed in the book.